Will Nvidia turn into the next microsoft?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Clarentavious, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

What one can begin to notice could be labeled as a "disturbing trend"

Ok, so a company makes video cards, no big deal.

But what happens when they start making motherboard chipsets (the nForce 2's are out now) and going into the laptop/notebook area?

My question is, will we next start seeing Nvidia sound cards, CD burners, NICs, and every other piece of hardware produced by Nvidia.

When they dealt a fatal blow to 3DFX a few years back, alot of gamers started buying Nvidia based cards. Nvidia wound up making a huge amount of money.

And what happens when a rich CEO gets even more money? He wants to expand his coporate enterprise. So, is the president of Nvidia going to start saying "Well, I am making enough money selling video cards, maybe we should start producing harddrives now" If he has enough money, he has enough cash to buy more electronic parts to build technology, and hire more employees.

With Nvidia having a brand name alot of people know about, it could be possible more and more products will be labeled Nvidia. Their sticker/logo might wind up on more and more pieces of hardware.

I guess the question is, are they are going make this foolish move?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.