Looks like i was wrong

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Neville, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Neville Registered Senior Member

Lately i have come to the conclusion that my previous posts regarding the used of pure reason, science and the purpose of reason with regards to God have all been wrong. Science is the way forward and God gave us reason so we should use it to its full potential. It is reason that has given us the society we live in today (in England) and which has given us the power (through science) to protect our country and its values which have come from pure reason. Sorry if i have defended my past beliefs so vigourously that i have caused offence and i tip my hat to the sciforumers who knew this before me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cog Registered Member

What do you mean by "pure reason"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

probably reason that is pure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cog Registered Member

LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- I don't think so...

(edited to lighten up a bit after deciding that you must have been joking...)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2003
  8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure waht you claim you were wrong about

But you are a Good person ad higher being infect to admit you were wrong. Unlike the rest of us who would admit defeat after we are 6 feet under.

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Neville,

Wars are also products of reason. The same for greed, violence, ignorance, ecologic problems, fear, etc...

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is rather refreshing to see an admittance to fallibility.

i will be next:

i am often wrong, but I can't really tell you where, because I do not keep track of my mistakes.

11. Neville Registered Senior Member

I mean that pure reason is what we (people) are Coq. Feelings and Emotions come from growth and the learning of ones place in society i.e. they are not a seperate entity as i once thought. The human mind is just pure reason, logic, objectivity, call it what you will.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  12. Cog Registered Member

You sound like Plato. You make reason and logic all powerful mind-givers. Then you make feelings and emotions into some odd kind of social construction.

Being aware of some of the past century of experimental psychology, I'm going to have to tell you that your ideas are absurd at best.

13. Neville Registered Senior Member

Such as?

14. Cog Registered Member

Do you really want me to sit around and read them off study by study? Why bother, here are a few good current books on the issues here:

Descartes' Error -Antonio Damasio

Philosophy in the Felsh: The embodied mind and its challenge to western thought - Lackoff and Johnson

The adapted mind -Barkow, Cosmides, and Tooby

Models of the Self -Gallagher and Shear

Just to name a few recent books. If you really want to talk about the evidence piece by piece I would be happy to-

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Cog right: emotion is built in, and if he does not start throwing citations at you I will!

16. Neville Registered Senior Member

alright calm down, it was just a thought! Ill try reading some of those then.

17. Neville Registered Senior Member

How did you find those books cog? What web page?

18. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence.

19. Neville Registered Senior Member

Thats a good quote notme2000. Not sure if i believe in it but ill think about it. It seems to me that the only gift we have to offer God is our wonder and amazement at his power.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The only gift that we can offer God is to Love one another. That's the only real gift that we can give Him, that's the only way to glorify Him.

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Here's an off-the-wall question. Does God find hate and murder and death beautiful? I know people who, while they do not condone these things, are able to find it beautiful. Would God have such an ability?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I don't think so notme...

23. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I'm not saying he would condone such things, but an omnipotent being, I would imagine, would be able to see the beauty in everything.