What do you think of DeJa Vu?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Tallguy, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

I've heard answers to this phenomenon saying it's caused when then brain sees something twice in just a few seconds (kind of like a brain hiccup) and the second time it is familiar and the brain is not sure when it happened even though it was just a second ago.

For me it is different. When this happens to me, I know what's going to happen for a few moments after I see the situation as familiar. So, I might hear somebody saying something and I will know what they will say for the next few sentences. This does not fit in with the above answer. Usually the Deja Vu has nothing to do with anything and nothing important comes of it, but it still seems strange to me. Does anybody else have theories/explanations to this? I would like to hear 'em.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

the logical answer to this seemingly mysterious complex is (and, i hate to burst bubbles of deja-vu believers) is that there are always commonly (as well as uncommon) re-occuring experiences happening out there in the world . it's all about repetition and its odds of it [the thing in question] happpening again and again. it's an odd's-on kind of thing. but, it's still kinda cool when one experiences it...it brings on a good case of the shivers if you don't remember there really is a logical reason behind it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

I thought this was a thread about the strip club when I saw the title. You probably thought that at least one person would think that, and I am the first one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This might be better in the paraphycology forum, but I will let the mods decide on that.

Anyway, I have experienced the phenomenon of "deja vu" several times. There have even been instances were I thought I was doing something I had several times before. In these instances I remember thinking I had experienced the situation before and had though about deja vu then. It's hard to explain.

I've heard it is caused by ESP or seeing evens before they actually happen. You may have also dreamed about an event and then a real life situation mimiced it.

It could just be caused by something being on your mind on and off over a long period of time. You think about it for a few moments, and then when you think about it again several months later, it is "deja vu." Sorry that I couldn't explain this more clearly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Mace Registered Senior Member

Deja Vu? I'm for it! Did I say that already?

8. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

There may be a logical explanation for this type of experience. It just seems like my experience does not fit in with the above mentioned answers. What I am saying is - what if you could stop the person who is talking to you and tell him what he is going to say in his next sentence. This is what has happened to me several times (I did not stop the person talking though. That would be rude.) And almost always it happens while I am listening to someone else. Perhaps it is a remembrance from a past life, if you believe in that sort of thing. And though the brain is chemical processes, the spirit is not. And therefore the spirit could remember. (If you belive in that sort of thing.) oops. am I getting off topic?

9. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

I've had a couple of those experiences. I few times it was because i really was doing something almost identical. Like having the same conervation with someone in the same place but only 3 months later.

I don't see why it's soo mystical. there are lots of patterns in life. predicting what someone says once or twice isn't really that strange.

10. SpearsDracona Registered Member

I get DeJa Vu all the time.

One morning I woke up and I was like, "I've seen this morning before. I know it. The school served pasta for lunch today before. Then someone got hurt." I went to school that day and we had pasta for lunch. Then my best friend twisted her ankle in gym class. I don't know why I would have seen that day before, but it was like I knew what was going to happen all day. It was weird.

I do believe in seeing stuff before it happens. It happens to me a lot. And I'm always thinking I've seen things before. Once I was eating a donut and I actually said out loud, "I think I ate this donut before." One time I went to a camp and I had never been there before and I was like, "Mom, have we been here before?" and she said that I'd never been there in my life.

I know what my mom and my brothers are about to say a lot of times, but that just might be because I know them very well.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i often have deja-vus about dreams. I see something and then I am sure that I dreamt about it before. But what are the chances that something in real life occurs that looks like a single scene in a dream. Well it is bound to happen once in a while. Furthermore, memories get adapted all the time. I might think it is a deja-vu, but maybe my brain is fooling me, by changing my memory.

12. Circe Registered Senior Member

Has anyone ever experienced Jamais Vu? It's the opposite of Deja Vu, where everything seems unfamiliar.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

jamais vu

something like that...but not quite maybe

my native language is not english, but i always speak english nowadays. Sometimes i get this weird feeling and suddenly the thought "why am I freaking speaking this strange language" occurs in my mind. It is difficult to explain, but suddenly english seems like such a foreign concept that I feel estranged. The ironic thing is that i think these things in english, since i switched from thinking in my native language to english a few years ago.

14. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

I guess i've had that experience, too, but not near as often. I work on a veneer green chain and the last time I can remember it happening is when the lathe broke down for about 10 minutes. When it all started back up, I forgot how to pull the veneer. I felt stupid and akward (I get that alot).

15. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

yes, every so often and i hate it.
    my brain gets overwhelmed with this blackness with a writing on it i can't describe.
    anywho back to the clinker with me.

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

I think the probablity of Jamais Vu is more than that of Deja Vu...
    Isnt it?

bye!

17. Decoy Registered Member

Just a thought

Some people call it premanitions, others visions. But could it not be an insight of a POSSIBLE future that actually came to be true?

Another possibility remains in our repetative lives on this small planet. Everyday actions that get stuck in our minds, but are remembered sometimes. Who knows, maybe it IS a hickup

But about Jamais Vu, ehrm, we experience the unknown every day, so why do I never have that sensation? Or this a typical effect that only affects americans..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  18. spookz Banned Banned

deja vu is cool

19. spookz Banned Banned

dejavu is cool

20. spookz Banned Banned

with a 30 sec delay of course

21. FenixKnox Registered Member

I use to think that deja vu was a change in the matrix!!!

sorry for that!

I sometimes have this feelings.... it's not a scene but I can feel or smell something that I have felt before. Just like the perfume of a beloved person that I haven't seen for years.... i sometimes have this sensations. just like the taste of a kiss for example.... it's very strange....... sometimes I feel the wind... and it brings to my memory a place that i've been before....

22. spookz Banned Banned

i used to smell my ex long after we broke up

23. FenixKnox Registered Member

why would that be?