Websharing through Airport

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by chazdecker, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chazdecker Chaz Decker Registered Senior Member

Hi,

After searching through Apple's website and other forums, I cannot seem to find any help setting up web/ftp sharing through my Airport Router. I want to be able to serve files from my computer, while connected to the internet through the airport.

My computer's personal IP is 10.0.1.2, the router is 10.0.1.1. I use OS X 10.2.3, and Web/FTP sharing is enabled.

The airport connects to the internet via DSL (Bellsouth), and has a dynamic IP address. It is the only computer currently using the airport network. I realize the outside IP address will change sometimes when trying to access my computer, but currently I am not getting any access whatsoever.

When I connect to 10.0.1.2 in my browser, I get the Apache page (this is good), but when I connect to the IP given to me by my DSL provider, I am unable to connect, as if the IP is incorrect (obviously - this is bad). Clearly, people cannot access my computer using the address 10.0.1.2 that my router assigns and must somehow use the IP given to me by Bellsouth... alas I am at a loss.

If anyone has a link to instructions, or can provide any help themself, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The problem here is that obviously although your putting in the IP address that the ISP has provided you with, your neglecting that the ISP "might" be outputting an "INTERNAL IP" to their network.

In short:
    Your WEB-viewable is YET another IP.

Just to show you how I mean: (This is only an example)

10.0.1.2 connects through 10.0.1.1 (Your network).
    10.0.1.1 conncts to the ISP with 192.169.2.37 (An example IP) which is an "Internal network number" which resolves to an internet IP of 145.23.3.1

The IP you've been trying to connect to is 192.169.2.37 where you should be using the 145.23.3.1 .

To help simplfie this, what you need to do is get on the computer (10.0.1.2) and surf the internet to this site:

http://info-x.co.uk/

On load, in a frame will be a little box containing your Internet Resolved IP, the one the internet sees for your connection.
    Try connecting to that IP with your browser when your running apache

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chazdecker Chaz Decker Registered Senior Member

The IP it gives is the same as I had previously. I am still unable to get to my computer via the web. It is only accessible using the IP addy that my router assigns from within my network.

Screenshot

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There is a possibility that it's APACHE thats in the wrong.
    Here's away that you can test to see if "anything is being passed".

You need to run a FIREWALL or something that will show you if anyone attempts to connect to your computer through a port.

Then you have to attempt to load your "Web" IP again from your computer.

The idea is that an attempt to load port 80 should appear on your firewall. If this is the case, then Apache's settings need to be sorted. (use IP Virtualhosts with your Web IP)

If an attempt doesn't get through to your computer, then the problem isn't on your computer, it's either being blocked at your router or firewalled by your ISP.

8. chazdecker Chaz Decker Registered Senior Member

Yea, I know (pretty sure) it's the firewall in the airport's base station software.

I think that to get through it has something to do with the port mapping but... I have tried setting that up for port 80 to map to my computer, but it didnt work out :\

Here's another screenshot showing the port mapping in the airport admin utility.

Grrrr...

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

10. chazdecker Chaz Decker Registered Senior Member

Maybe it has something to do with assigning a fixed IP address to my computer from which I want the web/ftp sharing.

I am not sure how to do this, as most of the options regarding DHCP/NAT are fixed (I have to connect using PPPoE over Ethernet to my DSL people...

Still no luck though... I feel so bothersome but if anyone has any other ideas

Thanks a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.