Red Flags For Sexism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by susan, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susan Registered Senior Member

Okay, I am supposed to write an article
    about "Red-Flags" for Sexism in social groups.

This book is a women's book but anyone can contribute.

So, can anyone think of Sexism warning signs... like little
    things that let you know you're in a Sexist environment?

I'm looking for things a little more subtle than nudy posters
    and women with big cleavage in dog collars.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

any environment that contains men...

the presence of beards is a red flag

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Where? Where?

Oh, false alarm.

However, a red flag for a stupid topic is that it was started by a poster named "susan".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. susan Registered Senior Member

why

why would you say something like that, Xev?

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Because you've yet to prove yourself as more than a common nut-ball who finds every whistle a guy makes at her repulsive and sexist.

9. susan Registered Senior Member

but

but most whistles ARE repulsive and sexist.
    not all of them, but most, from strange men leering...
    I've been to Greece, where they whistle plenty, but
    not generally AT women. Men in the U.S. whistle at women.
    French men too.
    It's gross.

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Even if women do it to?

Dont dress like how you dress. If you dont want to be stared at then dont wear tight jeans, dont wear a mini-skirt, dont wear a clear tank-top; its just that easy!!!

*EDIT*Note: Im trying to learn how the hell to use semicolons, I have no idea where to put these things. :;

11. susan Registered Senior Member

counselor coffee

whoah now.

even if I did wear clothes like that
    it has long been agree that sexual harassment and/or assualt
    can not be blamed on how a woman dresses

12. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

Precisely.. I don't have a problem with women whistling at me. I usually turn around and talk to them.

susan:
    Maybe you have a real problem.. Have you been to see a therapist or someone? You have a complex about sex and male attraction.. Maybe you are a lesbian?

13. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Susan

Clearly there are certain common male behaviours that women commonly find insulting. However, I think that in many cases, the intent behind the male behaviour is to compliment the woman (even if the result is really stupid). A woman in my sociology class once said that men should learn to accept their feminine side and not be so open with compliments. My response was that more women should accept their masculine side and learn to accept a compliment. I'm not going to argue masculine/feminine roles and their basis in evolution.

Anyway... An important thing to consider is freedom of speech, freedom of expression. We should have the right to whistle, call women "babes", put posters of naked bikini models on the walls, and anything else. You should have the right to do similar things. Political correctness has damaged freedom of speech, by introducing those ridiclous anti-sexism laws.

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"but most whistles ARE repulsive and sexist."

How on god's green earth is it sexist? If he whistles at you it's because he finds you attractive. How in fucking hell is that sexist?

"not all of them, but most, from strange men leering..."

So it's sexist if you don't like it? That's a great little standard you got.

15. susan Registered Senior Member

yup

if I'm not interested in a guy, show no signs of interest
    and he pursues me and pressures me and makes gestures,
    sounds signs indicating that I 'stimulate' him...
    that is harassment.
    I know the difference between a friendly whistle and a
    "You are my walking vagina" whistle.

16. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: but

Susan, In ancient traditions covering Greece, Italy, and Spain. It was frequent to see young men whistling or say some short and quietly to a beautiful lady when walking by.

Have no idea how or when was that invented, in any case the ladies were managing what to accept or not to accept by slapping crazy tasteless compliments from a guy. Of course the sensitivity towards women is fading away with modern times and so the quality and tactfulness of such compliments. Some blame the women liberation movement, others blame simply anything. The fact is that times are changing.

I personally find precious when seating at an outside café in some small town of Italy when a beautiful lady walks by and you hear a lost whistle, you turn your head and some times find a little kid probably in his 17’s other times on their 20’s and I have seen even in the 80’s. Married men are very careful when using the whistle as a compliment to any other than his own wife.

Sexism is very complex and it is understood very differently by different people. We have always advertised products in newspapers, television and even with sexy voices in radios. In most cases the men and women are attractive and well formed, and that’s natural. Can any one imagine a 190lb lady or guy doing a commercial for Ferrari?

A sexy lady with no personality, or not brains for that matter can only be good for pick-ups as we frequently see. We have seen sexy goddess on the media, the ramp up to stardom and plunge without the valuable parachute called brains. Any lady remotely jealous of that should really question their own values.

With women as with men, I feel they should be happy first and most with their own selves, enhance own charms en enjoy it wile doing it without overdoing it, but to take care of that we have the brains, right? . No one can of course avoid brutal and ignorant individuals in as much as we can not avoid insults by idiots, (the world is not totally perfect) but we should not let that normal abnormality of our world influence the way we feel ourselves nor the way we love to present ourselves.
    …Nothing wrong in trying to be originals, is there?

17. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: yup

That type of harassment is probably the most common, usually presented by handicap wankers with difficulties in getting or making quality friends, They could be extremely socially dependent and only in the assurance of mates the adventure to do their best, ..a total idiot. Than again, those kind of social viruses seem to infest some areas more than other. Why don’t you try to find entertainment in other places, perhaps places were the atmosphere calls conveniences for educated people?:m:

18. susan Registered Senior Member

yup

it's nice to no longer live in ghetto-ville Brooklyn.

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"if I'm not interested in a guy, show no signs of interest
    and he pursues me and pressures me and makes gestures,
    sounds signs indicating that I 'stimulate' him...
    that is harassment."

All I can say is I am glad and proud to live miles away from you.

A man at my dad's work said "Hey babe" to a girl one morning and got fired because the woman felt she was being harassed. Susan, you should learn some respect for the word harrasment. A guy showing interest in you is not harassment. It is a compliment.

You want a red flag for sexism? Anywhere someone like you exists. You have perfectly illustrated a double-standard in our society. Men and a large number of women are fine and participate in the situation you ahve described. I don't believe I've ever heard of a man complaining about a woman hitting on him saying it was sexist. Yet you and the neo-feminists like you call it sexism when it's done on women. That's a double-standard and a sexist believe in itself. So your red flag? It's you, susan.

20. susan Registered Senior Member

yes

yes, god yes, oh please make me respect the big
    bad word harassment! beat me, Tyler, beat me, yes
    oh god I love it!!!

21. susan Registered Senior Member

and besides

Tyler- there is quite an adequate forum for insults
    for me, you should have been able to find it
    It's called The Insulting Susan Thread.
    happy trails!

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

An excellent job you've just done in avoiding the point altogether.

"yes, god yes, oh please make me respect the big
    bad word harassment! beat me, Tyler, beat me, yes
    oh god I love it!!!"

Nah, you don't seem like a woman who enjoys any kind of sex beyond the complete norm.
    On top of which, yes, please respect the definition of words.

"Hey toots" - is not harrasment.
    Trying to grop you when you say "no" is harrasment.

23. spookz Banned Banned

damn! i feel kinda turned on here!
    hope i dont have an accident!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.