Who here likes The Final Fantasy Series?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cloudff7, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloudff7 Registered Member

If anyone knows the release date for FFX-2 then please tell me!
    E-Mail me if you know...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I can't believe they're doing that... Square is seriously going down hill. FF7 was the last great game they made. They've had some good ones since that, but nothing great.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

I agree with ya. FF VII maybe years old now but the story was far by the best. Yeah the graphics are outdated but the story is second to none.

FFX has good graphics but a pretty weak story line.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valentino Registered Senior Member

FFVII

I heard there was talk of remaking FFVII with better graphics but keeping the storyline basically the same and maybe adding to it. In OPM, i believe, I could be wrong.... but the idea is intriguing.

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Like what they did with Resident Evil on the GC? That should be interesting.

I liked FF8 and FF7, but 9? And 10? Nope. I like the plot lines, the graphics are cool, but exploration and treasure hunting has been thrown out. I did like 10, but only to a certain extent... The sphere gride system was awesome, but materia is way better, and the junction system was alright.

9. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I thought 8 was the worst out of 7-10.

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i love the graphics, and the individual detail they put into each character. but sometimes i get very agrevated at the fequency of battles. i dont know the release date for X2, but i did hear that they are only keeping a very small amount of (playable) characters of FFX, and that they story line is supposed to be different. Im hoping that it won't be as controlled as the last two were starting to be.

11. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

VIII would have made the best movie I think. the only reason IX was good was because they returned to their roots. X's ending was to anti-climactic. I won't pay $30 a month to play XI. The thing i'm looking forward is the updated versions of I, II, and III. And cloud, you're gonna have to grip your controller real hard and wait because it doesn't come out in Japan until March. go to www.gamespot.com and look for the trailer of it. That should tide you over.

12. Strawberry Slush Registered Member

i much prefer sports games and think that games such as Final Fantasy could be fun in their own environment, but propose a segregation between those and the greatest games of all time...the afforementioned sports games. nothing else in our culture captures the essence of the human spirit and its fickle, yet, herculian effect on society, especially american society, today...and for that i say, 'damn skippy'...

13. valentino Registered Senior Member

I believe the Final Fantasy Series do a much better job of "capturing the essence of the human spirit" than sports games, the stories tell of love and hope and the human spirit triumphing over the face of evil, there's nothing better than that.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I believe the notion of "Games within Games" at the "GoldSaucer<SUP>TM</SUP>" was probably one of the best parts about it FF VII, I knew people that although usually played games to get the best/fastest completion times just stopped in the "GoldSaucer<SUP>TM</SUP>" never to leave.

They spent hours playing the games in there, trying to get the best possible outcomes and even swapped memory cards with "Higher amounts of Cash" (Although eventually an Action Replay cartridge was brought into use, and a bit of Hex editing memory addresses.)

As for Storylines.... well I can't say much about any of them, all were different, some engrossing others just plain dull.
    Currently I feel there are too many CGI sequences, which are all very "Arty" but have no lasting residule effect like gameplay has.

(Merging the CGI effects with the gameplay, which is on the cards of game designers, is most definitely the future of gameing, but this means the building of new graphics engines and utilising the state of the art graphics cards that are now out in the shops.)

15. valentino Registered Senior Member

I don't really like the "games within games", I mean what the hell was up with Blitzball??? No one I know actually won the tournament.

16. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Well, going along with Strawberry Slush, technically Blitzball was a sports game. If you liked it, then you could play it all you wanted, but if you wanted better players, you had to play through the game to recruit better ones.

17. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

never had the patients for blitzball either.. but i love the beginning when it fills with water...

18. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Hey, let's try to highlight the good mini-games, instead of the bad ones. I'll start.

The sword fight at the beginning of IX (I got so mush gil from doing it over and over)

19. Qiothus II Majikal Man Registered Senior Member

I would have to agree. FFVII was such a pimp game. The others that followed had the cool graphics and all that jazz, but the characters were terrible and the plots were lacking. Especially in IX or X whichever one had the fruity little kids. Oh how I hate little kids in roles of power!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oops, did I say that out loud? I really hope they come out with some decent characters and a plot that could rival FFVII. I could use a good RPG.

20. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I'm waiting for some new company to come out with an amazing RPG and take over the RPG market and actually make Square concider using story line again in their games. Currently, Square has a monopoly on the RPG market...

21. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

I recently got a gameboy advance because of it's RPG potential. You may want to slap me, but I'm partial to the oldschool Super NES style RPGs. Chrono Trigger and FF3 are about all I remember for the first 13 years of my life... everything else is an rpg deprived blur of food and sleep. I grew up on those things and although FF7 was GREAT, there's something about 2d animation layered with thick story telling and deep character development that makes me drool. Square is planning quite the lineup in the somewhat near future for the GBA, and it seems that everywhere I look there are more soon to be released titles to be released. Until then I guess I'm stuck with Golden Sun, a mildly entertaining classic style rpg.. but when final fantasy tactics advance, magical Vacation, lufia 2, shining soul 2 and Seiken Densetsu etc.. etc.. etc.. etc... etc.. etc... come out, I will be a happy gamer. On the other hand, I'm not a polygon hater... show me a game with a great story line regardless of its graphics for better or for worse, I will enjoy it while the rest of you go play blitz ball or whatever someone mentioned.

22. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Chrono Cross suprised me. I thought it'd suck but it had a great storyline and was just plain fun!

23. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

i was never a fan of FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.