Anti-Shock Memory

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by 1119, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, so Mods, please feel free to move it.

I'm currently looking around for a portable CD player and need some advice/opinions from those with experience. The most important feature to me in a CD player is its anti-shock function so that it doesn't skip if I were to use it on the go or while driving.

I have some questions:

a) How does the anti-shock memory function? From what I've read, it's supposed to be a buffer memory that is stored ahead of playback so that it can be retreived to provide un-interuppted play in case actual playback stopped momentarily due to shock. But what happens if a shock occured during the storing of the buffer memory? Shouldn't the memory contain interupptions as well when retrieved?

b) Just how effective is the anti-shock memory function? I've been looking at a wide range of portable players and it seems practically every model have this function - even those that sell at the $100 range. Is the effectiveness dependent on the degree of shock? I'm very tempted to get the cheap one if the anti-shock function is the same for all types of players.

Looking forward to any advice.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I don't know exactly how the memory works but with CD's the music isn't stored exactly the same way as on a record. Sections of music aren't in one line, so if there is a problem the whole track won't be messed up. Sony's G-protection is great. I have one of their cd players that has it and its wonderful. It doesn't suck up battery life like other anti-shock methods and it's always on. I've used it to run for 20 minutes and it didn't skip while smacking against my leg in my pocket.

You could probably do a search and find out how anti-shock memory works, but it's probably like computer ram, where it needs electricity to store anything. Sony's G-protection is might be more in the laser movement, but probably has a good portion of memory.

I've had a portable cd player that doesn't have any anti shock and if you tap on the cover it will skip. Then I had one that had 10 second anti shock and it only got about an hour of play time when it was on. Then I got the g-protection antishock and it gets great battery life and I haven't heard it skip even when I tried to make it.

For the car, I don't think you'll need an expensive player with a lot of memory. If on the go means you'll just be walking around with it you don't need something expensive. Although if you want to be extremely active with it (like with exercise) you might want to look into something better than "cheap." I would suggest get something with 40 seconds or more. You can find some that are around $50 (US) like the Sony Pysch's.

Here's one that has g-protection, 40 seconds of it. Only $40 (US) plus shipping
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/kishlist/sondejporcom.html

Here's a sony with ESPMAX antishock, plays CD-RW's too....you might want to consider that too, if you want to play CD-RW's. $43 (US) + shipping
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electronicsgift/sonde3cdwalp.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the info grazzhoppa.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.