the chip

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Gifted, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Do you think that people, individually and as a society, could handle neurolink technology(the monkey with the chip in his head) in the following forms:
    *Computer access
    *Control of equipment(power armor, vehicles, etc.)
    *Cyber worlds(cross between the Matrix and Star Trek's holodeck)

And anything else you can think of?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is possible. (I think. Or is brain matter too biological to connect to the inanimate?)

No, we will not be able to handle it, simply because we are human. We do not learn by raw data input, we learn by action because we are physical and visual learners. The implications of a steady stream of information would not overwhelm us in the beginning, but will cause problems like: How much is enough? How do we determine who will "learn" this, and who won't?

As well, it will not make it any easier for humanity to function if we were to all retain the same info. Where would the competition be? The drive to succeed and explore, to create new boundaries? Why, we would all be intellectual communists! Status would be completely pointless!

Of course, there is the way in which we apply the newfound data, and there is optimism in this method that would result in peaked creativity levels, in our human-ness to stand out from the crowd.

I'm very interested in linking to a matrix though. I always envied the holodecks from Star Trek TNG, and VR would be a great business and leisure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Once again I advice the reading of the manga "Ghost in the Shell" or you can watch the movie.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've already mentioned this to a Laboratory:

If the human brain is hooked to a computer system there are potential problems that could occur, they could be classed as "Exploits" or "Overflows" depending on who coins it first.

Simply put, if a region of the brain has a stimuli entered and it's output is then "LOOPED" back to it's stimuli, you could end up with a Terminal Loop or buffer overflow effect.

The stimulation could be something as simple as a sexual pleasure to something nasty like pain. It would be a bit like have so music you completely despised ran over and over again, until eventually you can't take anymore.

The outcome could be devistating, be it an individual committing suicide in a depressed state to someone killing someone else due to the "Overflow".

There is also the possibility of stimuli being Manipulated, so that information is falsified. This can happen in two ways, one is at "Run-time" while the other is done "subliminally" running without being noticed and altering memories.

These sort of exploits would cause the inability for people to ever be true witnesses to anything, since they might not have seen anything etc.

Not to forget the utilisation of such equipment to steal information from the very source. Plagurism and corporate espionage hand in hand.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Do you think people have not developed logic operations to deal with this problems? Problems like this happen just with computer alone!