Need advise

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dov13, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dov13 Registered Member

Hi all,

I want to build a new PC.
    I want to choose these parts:

Can someone tell if there is any incompatibility between them, or if there is a better configutration?

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X KT400 Motherboard
    2 HardDrive Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA133 40G for RAID
    Video Card: MSI G3TI200 ProVTG
    AMD XP 2400 2.0G
    DDR Memory

Thanks in advance.
    Dov

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I thnk the first question I have to ask is why two small 40 gig HD's? At least 60 gig which would be like adding one more 40 between the two. You never have enough room it seems. So far the two 60's I have put in are holding everything but later I am thinking of adding another 120 gig for storage.

There is also another thread within this forum that deals with building a computer that might have some advice and help for you.

Here

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

Why the TI200?

Why not a GeForce4, GeForce FX, or a Radeon 9700 Pro?

How much memory do you plan on putting in?

And sound? Do you have a sound card in mind? Or is it on the motherboard?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Depending on the memory you plan to put in, I think the video card will be the limiting factor in your computer. If you play to do any gaming with this machine then I'd suggest getting a better video card, like the ones vakemp listed.

8. dov13 Registered Member

Need advise 2

Thanks guys,

First I am thinking of 2 hard drives of 40G with RAID will work faster then 1 of 80G.

80G I think it is enough for me for now.

I wonder if there is any incompatibilities between mother board and video card (like only some video cards will work for some mother boards.)

The Memory I was thinking at 1 G DDR for now but I am not sure about a better brand name.

I don't know about sound card yet.
    I am tinking to take a separate one, but arround maximum $70-80? What will be good for that price?

Thanks again
    Dov

9. Bachus Registered Senior Member

I recently purchased a chaintech motherboard and i find it quite to my liking. Specialy if you get the amd processor you can get the chaintech zenith (also saves you on a soundcaord since it has a six channel soundcard onboard)

see here for the specs:

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/eng/products/SOCKA/7NJS.asp

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I recently purchase a Sound Blaster Audigy (spelling?) last month.

The reason I did so is because I had a on board card. As such it is limited. To do the conversion of analog music to mp3 the on-board card did not have that capability.

I go to a "we build it" store that sells at internet prices or there abouts. You get no cardboard. You get the product in an antistatic bag, with a cd of the drivers and that is it. Normally, cheap cd drives and modems run around $25. The sound card was $79. The 60 gig hd was around $100 for a 7200 rpm drive.

It fullfills my needs at reasonable prices. I would think that most major cities would have something simular that you could find with a little looking around.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Looks good man!

Stick with 512MB or more of RAM. Get PC3200 and with that CPU you can overclock the CPU-FSB to run at 166Mhz with no problems becasue your motherboard is designed for that speed!

both Raid 0 and Raid 1 will halve your drive space... so if you buy 2 40GB drives all you have is 40GB of total space. I have the same board with RAID 1 with 60GB drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.