hydrancephaly

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by anti-takyon, Jan 13, 2003.

1. anti-takyon Registered Member

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/bearden/interview.html

There exists a rare, completely bafflingly medical phenomenon -- which has until recently been concealed -- called hydrancephaly. To the normal materialistic Western biologist, this condition is astonishing, to say the least. In hydrancephaly, a person's cranial cavity is filled almost totally with fluid, not with brain matter. There may be only 5% or so of the brain in there; typically just the small portion on the tip of the spine. The other 95% of the brain case is filled with fluid. Yet the individual may be as normal as you or I. Except, of course, that x-rays of his head will astonish all the doctors. A few years ago, for example, such a hydrancephalic individual graduated from a university in Great Britain, with a degree in mathematics. British news actually made a video documentary on this subject, and particularly on that individual.

Anybody knows more about this illness?
    If this is true, how it is possible? Is there some invisible part in human brain (soul, astral body etc..)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

er, the link you provided didnt deal with hydroencephaly.

I doubt an individual could live with this so called "hydroencephaly." But anything's possible, so maybe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

I've seen information before on people that had parts of their brain missing, and can function okay. It seems that if this occurs at an early age, or they are born with it, the brain will adapt to use what neurons it has to fill the role of those missing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Jaxom, that is quite interesting. Could you point me to any websites on the subject? I'm gonna check this thing out i think

8. eaxelrod Registered Senior Member

http://www.healthnet.org.np/journal/jiom/issue61/hyd.PDF

"The patient has a normal cerebellum and brainstem supplied by the vertebrobasilar system.
    . . .
    The condition is uniformly fatal; only rarely will the child survive
    beyond infancy."

---
    http://esynopsis.uchc.edu/S438.htm

"There are many causes of hydrancephaly including vascular disease, infection, and trauma.
    . . .
    Hydrancephaly been seen in women who had blunt trauma to the abdomen during pregnancy, to women exposed to C0 at high levels during pregnancy, and after a severe viral infection.
    . . .
    The basal ganglia and thalamus may still be present but the cerebral cortex and white matter is represented by a pial-meningeal membrane
    The brainstem and cerebellum may also be partially intact.
    . . .
    Infants rarely live past birth.

---

I find it kind of hard to believe that an infant diagnosed with hydroencphaly could graduate kindergarten, much less any type of higher education school.

On the other hand, hydrocephalus is a somewhat similar, and not terribly uncommon (0.3-2.5 per 1000), condition that is treatable. Hydrocephalus is a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid, which, in turn, increases cranial pressure. The increase in cranial pressure results in sometimes severe brain damage. But, since hydrocephalus can now be treated in utero, I don't believe that there are very many young patients that have severe brain damage from the condition.

If the supposed person recently graduated college, he or she is likely in their 20's. This sets the diagnoses back over 20 years, to the late 1970's or early 1980's. I believe that a misdiagnoses would be a safe assumption for the particular patient, especially since we don't have any type of specific information on the patient.

Hydrocephalus:
    http://fetalsurgery.chop.edu/HYDRint7.shtml

>> which has until recently been concealed

A conspiracy by the medical and biology fields? Sounds like a credible site. /g/

9. d7jones Registered Member

My son has hydrocephalus (a less severe accumulation of CSF in the ventricles). I have met a girl with 95% fluid, and she is a happy pre-schooler who knows all of her colors and letters. She does have some short term memory problems, but, nonetheless, it is baffling that she is able to function so normally with the brain being compressed. Her mom shared her MRI with me, and it is amazing. So, this is not an "urban myth" and a few people can function almost normally with this condition. I've found that it is very difficult to predict function based upon MRI severity.

As far as the in utero treatment goes, its success is debateable. I've heard both sides of the argument, but many people feel that nothing is gained from the early treatment and that it is better to wait until after birth. The main problem with the current treatment (insertion of a shunt) is that they have to be replaced, every 4-7 years on average. Hydrocephalus cannot be cured, only treated, and the shunts must continue to be replaced throughout the childs lifetime.

Prior to the 1980's most children died. Today, children with hydrocephalus are leading productive lives. My son has some minor issues, but is very much a "regular" second grader and is keeping up with his peers.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here's what I found on the subject:
    Diagnosis: Hydrancephaly

Key points

Hydranencephaly - In utero destruction of cerebral parenchyma with intact falx and preservation of posterior fossa structures.
    Cerebrum replaced with CSF.
    Caused by in utero occlusion of bilateral supraclinoid internal carotid arteries. Etiology unclear (hereditary thrombophilic states, infection, maternal irradiation/toxin exposure, twin-twin transfusion, intrauterine anoxia).
    Rarely unilateral
    Occurs approximately <1:10000 births, greatest incidence in teenage mothers.
    Clinically, present with macrocephaly, developmental delay, irritability, hyperreflexia, seizures.
    Often seen with prenatal ultrasound (anechoic cranial vault).
    On CT and MR (best characterized with MR) – CSF attenuation/signal intensity replacing the supratentorial brain parenchyma with sparing of thalami, brain stem, cerebellum, and choroid plexus.
    Falx is intact (distinguishes from holoprosencephaly).
    No thin rim of cerebral parenchyma (distinguishes from severe hydrocephalus).
    Prognosis is poor – usually death in infancy.
    Treatment is supportive care, shunting to decrease head growth.

11. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

And, congrats on reviving a 7-year old thread.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't believe you.

13. chaos1956 Banned Banned

here is what wiki says

And Sherman Alexie's book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian got banned.

I frown at this as both the title subject matter and main story line suggest this is in some way a psychological diary. Banning a book written by a man struggeling against a genetic disorder? why?

To crush a mans dreams and strugles from being heard. then again maybe banning it seems to get more attention. It worked for Farenheight 451. Maybe not for the book but possibly for the illness.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really? By whom?
    Maybe Amazon could be sued for still selling it.

Maybe you should check before accepting such suggestions:
    Hmm, no mention that the author suffered from brain damage the way the novel's protagonist does.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Absolutely_True_Diary_of_a_Part-Time_Indian

Yeah and Fahrenheit 451 was banned for "offensive language" only in certain schools in the USA.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  15. chaos1956 Banned Banned

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Maybe you should have read it before linking:
    And it still doesn't alter the fact that it was a novel.

17. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Man with tiny brain shocks doctors

A man with an unusually tiny brain manages to live an entirely normal life despite his condition, which was caused by a fluid build-up in his skull. Scans of the 44-year-old man’s brain showed that a huge fluid-filled chamber called a ventricle took up most of the room in his skull, leaving little more than a thin sheet of actual brain tissue. (New Scientist)