Basics of Computer Science?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by notPresidentAndrew, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

My room-mate and best friend are computer science majors, but I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about those topics. It would be nice if I knew what they were talking about. Can anyone give me the basics of computer science or a link to a site that explains it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Comp Sci 4 dummies...

Hmm...thats a good question....Wish i had known exactly what it was before i got in. Would have helped me know what I was getting into

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wish I could help, I don't really know where you can possible cram all the stuff we learn into a single webpage or something. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, else you can probably surf your university's cs website for more info on the actual classes. If you don't know where it is feel free to surf my uni's website.

www.cs.ucf.edu

It's some pretty cool stuff...if you're into it, else I've heard it can be mind numbing. Post if u have questions.

-AntonK

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

here is Purdue's
    http://www.cs.purdue.edu

just brows around the page, but try going to courses -> slybi (sp) -> Instructors

Those are the homepages of the courses. Most of our notes are on-line

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

I'm sorry, but I could not find any useful information at that site. Could you provide a more direct link for a person with no knowledge of computer science? Everyone starts life not knowing one think about computers. I just have continued this trait for a greater deal of time.

8. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

see what you are asking is possibly a multitude of a question...since C.S itself includes a whole lot of things...

all from programming to Designing algorithms...

so would you mind being specific?

then i would help you out...

thanks.

bye!

10. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

Here's a question:

What kind of jobs can people with BSCS degrees expect to get?

11. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

I second the question ... I have a BSEE and - although not really programming literate - I wonder what kind o payday I can pull-down with a MSCS ... I, too, would appreciate any input ...

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Well I know that with a 4 year degree in University in the field of computer game programming you can expect to make about $50,000 US a year right out of University, at least according to all the stuff I've seen. It all depends on where you specialize, there are many fields within computer science, from web design to artificial intelligence.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

Web designing or any other project is okay,But AI makes it haywire...There are very few Jobs available for AI.Most of it goes into Research.I am sure that wouldnt interest those people who want to earn some Quick Bucks and become Oil Rich...

bye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.