M*cr*s*ft

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by hotsexyangelprincess, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

How did Microsoft get so far ahead in the market these days.
    I'm thinking: who needs quality when you have marketing?:m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

There was a show on the History channel that explain how Microsoft got big. They basically took an operating system called QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) from another small computer company in Seattle. They refined it to work in a new IBM personal computer. Then the deals were made and Microsoft was able to sell thier refined version of QDOS as DOS (Disk Operating System) to all PC manufacturers, instead of giving only IBM the sole owership of DOS. So Microsoft made millions.

And for Windows, I thought it was Mr. Gates and Co. that "borrowed" Apple's GUI (Graphic User Interface) and called it their own. I think there were many lawsuits and Microsoft proved Windows was different enough from a Mac OS. MS would be in the crapper without the help of other companies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cthulhu_X Registered Member

I honestly wonder sometimes....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kyle_S Registered Senior Member

LUNIX@1

8. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

By nature, we hate dependency, particularly the type from which we can do absolutely nothing. We hate Microsoft and as hypocrites, we run to the store to get their latest, most people in this forum are using MS based applications.

Has anyone here an idea how difficult is to coherently support adaptation by an overwhelming development of hardware, gadgets, peripheries, etc?. Well MS is trying hard and believe me, in the world of short-time big-profit that we live in, it ain’t easy.

At least with upgrades and patches the great majority is managing and although there truth about MS OS stability, let us remind our self’s that majority of times are PC-ignorance or not reading properly important software information before using or installing it.

LINUX had a great (technological) future at the beginning, it appeared as the great alternative to MS. Unfortunately it has become as a Frankenstein version of MS, having only the low pricing advantage, in particular for OEM’s.

It, too like MS, requires a lot of upgrades, kernel updates and hardware device efficient support that only pc-gurus can really move around comfortable and not the end-user.
    Microsoft is lousily bad, but the best out there for a long time to come. Sorry!

9. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Just for the record, Apple took the idea of a GUI from Xerox who developed in at PARC but didn't push it since they weren't into computers as such. Perhaps even they got the idea from someone else.

Cheers,

Ron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.