Science versus Religion

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by prozak, Jan 11, 2003.

1. prozak Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

youse one helluva infectious meme. no wonder amazon going down the toobs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. prozak Banned Banned

I am personally responsible for destroying Amazon.com. Not only that, I was the one Matt Hale wanted to kill a federal judge. I nailed Jesus Christ to the cross. And, I changed the formula in Coke.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

i knew it! congrats!

8. Virgin Banned Banned

9. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

The fight is not between science and religion. The debate is between science and Creationism.

10. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

isnt there a class you can take concering "science and religion"

how science affects religion and vis versa and how they share simalaritys and differnces... etc etc

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

That depends really. Don't you think that anyone who is all "hey my deity pimps your deity like the bitch that he is" has kind of a problem to begin with? Isn't it that people are hanging onto some hypothetical as if it were real, and then trying to tell you that they're opinion cannot be swayed and they are right because they know of this deity.. but yet, cannot prove the deity to YOU unless you believe in the deity.. don't you see a problem there? I mean, dieties as theories are perfectly acceptable... but deities as FACT?????????

Please.

So.. are sure about your assertion there with the creationism as the bizness?

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Religion and science can complement each other, but they ask fundamentally different questions and have different goals. Religion can compliment science by providing possible answers to questions that science cannot address, like 'why is the universe orderly and rational?' or 'how should people treat each other?' Science provides empirical fact, which could provide a religious person with new insights into god or theology. In general, though, the two have little to do with each other.

Of course there are some who would claim that their religion reveals empirical fact to them, and this does often put them in conflict with scientists, but this is more of a problem of rationalism vs. divine authority as methods of epistemology than a fundamental conflict between science and religion.

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Maybe they do now, but I don't think they started out that way. I would think that science is an offshoot of where religion provided answers to begin with. The cool thing about science being that there is some value of objectivity and reproducable evidence etc. In my opinion, religion is and always has been a substitute for greater context, continually advancing and adapting to that which science reveals. Not without fighting science every bit of the way. Hehe, one analagy might be that religion is science's older, less intelligent brother.
    Religion provides AN answer yes.. but has ZERO to say about the validity thereof. IMHO, it is for those who simply can't stomach the truth. The truth is that nobody has the answers to some questions, but I would assert that.. given history.. you'll find out if you can stay alive long enough.
    I believe that can be stated beatifully though a scientific approach (selfish economics, e.g. "why would I hurt you if that would incite you to hurt me?"). Sure, some aspects of it will rely on opinion.. but it's the same with religion.
    I completely disagree. Science is an elegant, methodological tool, while religion is a founded in the ignorance of history and only as usefull as a crutch, but both are fundmentally related. (sorry, religion really annoys me so I got a little carried away there)
    While I think that last point is interesting, at least well put.... but doesn't the conflict you present exactly represent the difference between the two regarding the validity of the information they yeild.. and if that's so isn't that representative of a conflict between science and religion on the fundamental level of epistemology? Eh, maybe I'm just hung up on semantics.

I'd be interested in ConsequentAithiest's take on all of this.

14. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

religion is setting & following goals, scienece is getting answeres

case closed

15. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

prove to me that creationism didn't happen. *yawn*

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Well... I can prove to you evolution happens but I dont want to start a screaming match. Maybe creationism happened too but that must of been way back in the precambrien period. No "every species coming into existance in one glorious moment" could have happened.

17. Cog Registered Member

Prove to me pink fairies didn't create the universe five minutes ago, complete with memories and all. *sigh*

18. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

BECUASE i remeber when... DAMMIT!

mabey we are in the matrix! NEO SAVE US!

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You have not made a case worth opening, let alone closing.

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

*envisions pumpkin stirring the cauldron and cackling*

Hehe, instigator.

21. New Life Registered Senior Member

you can really prove that evolution happens??? please do!

22. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

Shhhhhh, its bed time for you

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hehe.. okay then.

*wanders off to bed*

(nice jedi mind trick dude, sweeeet)