LSD, MDMA and psychotherapy

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jps, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jps Valued Senior Member

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v05n3/05303psy.html

Before mdma and lsd were outlawed they were used experimentally as tools to aid in psychotherapy. Currently there is a movement to legalize some psychoactives(primarily ibogaine) for use in treating addiction.
    http://www.ibogaine.org/

I have friends who have had their lives changed drastically for the better in this way.
    I believe that if these drugs were legalized a lot of people would benefit.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hazy Registered Member

That sounds reasonable. :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

come on! Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

i dont know. despite some awesome experiences., i am of the opinion that my brain got rewired for the worse

8. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I also am a believer of bad rewiring.

Drugs are not innocent.

9. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

I absolutely disagree that these drugs will change your life for the better. I have friends who are still not right from LSD trips they had in college in the early nineties.

I also have a good friend right now that has transformed himself from a successful businessman into a strange schitzophrenic. Two years ago he was a cleancut witty intelligent man with a successful career. All he did was drink and smoke herb (with the occassional cocaine binge). Since then, he has gone from selling and using ecstacy on a daily basis and now he smokes crank every day. The guy is wacked out completely even when sober. He talks to himself constantly. He laughs at inappropriate times and hasn't been able to carry on a coherent converstaions with any of our friends.

IMHO, if you want to use drugs, stay with alcohol, pot and cocaine. Stay away from LSD, X and crank (even heroin is less damaging). The shit will burn holes in your brain and if its the wrong hole ... off you go to the sanitarium.

oz

10. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I'd have to disagree...i've never used, but i know cocaine to be highly addictive (mentally) and highly expensive.

I personally don't plan on ever touching anything besides MJ, alcohol..possibly psilocybe mushrooms (not as mind shattering as LSD)..

But nothing on a regular basis. Hell, nothng on an even biweekly basis...

All things in moderation i suppose

11. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

I agree with you 100%. However, that statement doesn't contradict my statements above. I was referring to the impact on you brain vis a vis permanent damage. Given that criteria, cocaine is not nearly as harmful as LSD and Ecstacy (and I also think not as harmful as crank).

oz

12. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

in that case, ok

13. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Also, cocaine is physically addicting and mentally addicting.

oz

14. jps Valued Senior Member

I don't deny that these drugs can have very negative results if misused, but thats true of many drugs. The fact that people take these drugs in uncontrolled environments and have bad experiences does not show that they could not be useful under therapeutic condtions.

15. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

I would agree with that. In fact, I think all drugs should be legalized. My posts were in response to these drugs drastically changing someones life for the better. I can say that it is within the realm of possibility that they may be beneficial under close doctor supervision.

oz

16. eaxelrod Registered Senior Member

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.09/professorx.html

Alexander Shulgin made millions for Dow Chemical. Then he synthesized MDMA, realized his best test subject was himself, and became the godfather of Generation Ecstasy.
    Now he’s back inside his private lab, running a new batch of psychedelic compounds through his chromatograph.

. . .

Shulgin says ecstasy is particularly good for breaking down personal barriers, which is why some therapists used it before it was made illegal.
    . . .

But unlike Timothy Leary or Terence McKenna, Shulgin doesn't proselytize for psychedelic drugs. Instead, he invents new compounds, runs experiments to determine their pharmacological effects, and publishes his recipes. His 1976 synthesis of MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine), aka ecstasy, is the best-known result of his work. But he's also created dozens of other psychoactive compounds, including DOM (2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine), more commonly known as the potent '60s psychedelic STP, and 2C-T-7 (2,5-dimethoxy-4-(n)-propylthiophenethylamine), now sold on the street as "tripstasy"and suspected in the overdose death of a Tennessee teenager last year. Together with Ann, Shulgin has written two books that have become cult classics: PIHKAL: A Chemical Love Story (short for "Phenethylamines I Have Known And Loved") and TIHKAL: The Continuation (about tryptamines).

. . .

Even some scientists who speak out against drugs see value in his work: "There are merits to what Shulgin is doing, as the government does not allow real, unbiased studies with psychedelic drugs," says Jonathan Porteus, a psychologist at Cal State Sacramento who works with clients experiencing memory and mood problems as a result of ecstasy use.

. . .

He disapproves of the potentially dangerous doses clubbers often take, and he worries that recreational use of his drugs will overshadow their higher purpose. Psychedelics are a means for adults to gain insight into themselves, Shulgin says. "The best words I can use are research tools."

17. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

PEYOTE!!!

Mescalin is the ultimate drug, hands down.

No hangover
    High state of awareness and surroundings
    Most users feel a closeness to nature
    Heightened senses
    Not addicting
    No long term affects
    No physical or mental damage

Can ANYONE give me evidence against peyote... honestly.

18. Neville Registered Senior Member

Isnt mescalin that drug from 'The Matrix' slacker i.e. a futuristic fictional one?

Does anyone know if smoking cannabis has any serious long-term effects (i know there has probably been a lot of discussion and debate on here about it in the past but i didnt take any notice because i didnt smoke it then)

Just post the links if you want and i'll do the reading for myself.

19. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

Im against LSD and Xtacy... LArgely because several studies have shown that it causes irreversable brain damage, and because i want to stay OUT of jail. If you want to draion yourself of your personailty and no longer be able to feel emotions, then go ahead and take these.

20. eaxelrod Registered Senior Member

>> Does anyone know if smoking cannabis has any serious long-
    >> term effects

This is the oral form, not the 'inhalation'

----------------
    Product List

c-iii Marinol (Unimed) Capsules, gelatin:12.5 mg

Indications

Antiemetic:
    Treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients not responding adequately to conventional antiemetic treatment.

Appetite stimulation:
    Treatment of anorexia associated with weight loss in AIDS patients.

Administration & Dosage

Antiemetic:
    Initially, give 5 mg/m2 1 to 3 hours prior to the administration of chemotherapy, then every 2 to 4 hours after chemotherapy, for a total of 4 to 6 doses/day. If the 5 mg/m2 dose is ineffective and there are no significant side effects, increase the dose by 2.5mg/m2 increments to a maximum of 15 mg/m2 per dose. Use caution, as the incidence of disturbing psychiatric symptoms increases significantly at this maximum dose. Administration with phenothiazines (eg, prochlorperazine)may improve efficacy (vs either drug alone) without additional toxicity.

Appetite stimulation:
    Give 2.5 mg twice daily before lunch and supper. For patients who cannot tolerate 5 mg/day, reduce dosage to 2.5mg/day as a single evening or bedtime dose.
    When adverse reactions are absent or minimal and further therapeutic effect is desired, increase to 2.5mg before lunch and 5 mg before supper (or 5 mg at lunch and 5 mg after supper). Although most patients respond to 2.5mg twice daily, 10 mg twice daily has been tolerated in 50% of patients. The dosage may be increased to a maximum of 20 mg/day in divided doses. Use caution in escalating the dosage because of the increased frequency of dose-related adverse reactions at higher dosages.

Actions

Pharmacology:
    Dronabinol is the principal psychoactive substance present in Cannabis sativa L (marijuana). Nontherapeutic effects of dronabinol are identical to those of marijuana and other centrally active cannabinoids(see Warnings). The mechanism of action is unknown.

Cannabinoids have complex CNS effects, including central sympathomimetic activity. Cannabinoid receptors have been discovered in neural tissues. These receptors may play a role in mediating the effects of dronabinol. Patients may experience mood changes (eg, euphoria, detachment, depression, anxiety, panic, paranoia), decrements in cognitive performance and memory, a decreased ability to control drives and impulses, and alterations of reality (eg, distortions in perception of objects and sense of time, hallucinations). These latter phenomena are more common with larger doses; however, a full-blown picture of psychosis (psychotic organic brain syndrome) may occur in patients receiving doses in the lower portion of the therapeutic range.

Dronabinol, within or slightly above the recommended dose range, increases heart rate and conjunctival injection. Blood pressure effects are inconsistent, but occasional subjects experience orthostatic hypotension or fainting upon standing. In 1 study, a slight but consistent decrease in oral temperature was recorded.

Pharmacokinetics:

Absorption / Distribution:
    Following oral administration, dronabinol is almost completely absorbed (90% to 95%). It has a systemic bioavailability of 10%to 20%, an onset of action of 0.5 to 1 hour, and peak effect at 2 to 4 hours. Duration of psychoactive effects is 4to6hours, but the appetite-stimulant effect may continue for 24hours after administration. Dronabinol has a large apparent volume of distribution, 10 L/kg, because of its lipid solubility. The plasma protein binding of dronabinol and its metabolites is 97%.

Metabolism / Excretion:
    Dronabinol undergoes extensive first-pass hepatic metabolism, primarily by microsomal hydroxylation, yielding both active and inactive metabolites.
    Dronabinol and its principal active metabolite, 11-OH-delta-9-THC, are present in approximately equal concentrations in plasma. Concentrations of both parent drug and metabolite peak at 2 to 4 hours after oral dosing and decline over several days.

The major route of elimination is biliary excretion. Within 72 hours after oral administration, 50% of dose is recovered in feces; 10% to 15% appears in urine; < 5% is excreted unchanged in urine. Low levels of dronabinol metabolites have been detected for > 5 weeks in the urine and feces following a single dose. The elimination phase of dronabinol exhibits biphasic kinetics with an alpha half-life of 4 hours and a terminal half-life of 25 to 36 hours. Extended use at recommended doses may cause accumulation of toxic amounts of dronabinol and metabolites.

Clinical trials:

Appetite stimulation:
    The initial dosage of dronabinol in all patients was 5 mg/day, given in doses of 2.5 mg 1 hour before lunch and 1 hour before supper. Early morning administration appeared to be associated with an increased frequency of adverse experiences, as compared with dosing later in the day. Side effects (eg, feeling high, dizziness, confusion, somnolence) occurred in 18% of patients at this dosage level; the dosage was reduced to 2.5 mg/day, administered as a single dose at supper or bedtime. Compared with placebo, dronabinol treatment resulted in a statistically significant improvement in appetite as measured by visual analog scale. Trends toward improved body weight and mood and decreases in nausea were also seen. After completing the 6-week study, patients were allowed to continue treatment with dronabinol when there was a sustained improvement in appetite.

Antiemetic:
    Dronabinol treatment of chemotherapy-induced emesis was evaluated in patients with cancer who received a total of 750courses of treatment for various malignancies. The antiemetic efficacy was greatest in patients receiving cytotoxic therapy with MOPP for Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Dosages ranged from 2.5 to 40 mg/day, administered in equally divided doses every 4 to 6 hours (4times daily). Escalating the dose > 7 mg/ m2 increased the frequency of adverse experiences with no additional antiemetic benefit.

Combination antiemetic therapy with dronabinol and a phenothiazine (eg, prochlorperazine) may result in synergistic or additive antiemetic effects and attenuate the toxicities associated with each of the agents.

Contraindications

Hypersensitivity to dronabinol, marijuana, or sesame oil.

Warnings

Tolerance:
    Following 12 days of dronabinol, tolerance to the cardiovascular and subjective effects developed at doses up to 210 mg/day. An initial tachycardia induced by dronabinol was replaced successively by normal sinus rhythm and then bradycardia. A fall in supine blood pressure, made worse by standing, was also observed initially. Within days, these effects disappeared, indicating development of tolerance. However, tachyphylaxis and tolerance did not appear to develop to the appetite-stimulant effect. In AIDS patients, the appetite-stimulant effect was sustained for up to 5 months at doses of 2.5 to 20 mg/day.

Patient supervision:
    Because of individual variation, clinically determine the period of time the patient needs to be supervised. Closely observe patients within an inpatient setting, if possible. This is especially important during treatment of patients with no prior experience with Cannabis or dronabinol. However, even patients experienced with these agents may have serious untoward responses not predicted by prior uneventful exposures. Closely observe any patient who has a psychotic experience with dronabinol until the mental state returns to normal. Do not give additional doses until the patient has been examined and the circumstances evaluated. If the situation warrants, give a lower dose under very close supervision.

Fertility impairment:
    In rats, dronabinol doses of 30 to 150 mg/m2 (0.3 to 1.5 times the maximum recommended human dose in cancer patients and 2 to 10 times that in AIDS patients) reduced ventral prostate, seminal vesicle, and epididymal weights and caused a decrease in seminal fluid volume. Spermatogenesis decreases, developing germ cell numbers, and a number of Leydig cells in the testis were also observed.

Elderly:
    Use caution because the elderly are generally more sensitive to the psychoactive effects. In antiemetic studies, no difference in tolerance or efficacy was apparent in patients > 55 years of age.

Pregnancy:
    Category C. In mice and rats, dronabinol decreased maternal weight gain and number of viable pups and increased fetal mortality and early resorptions. The dose-dependent effects were less apparent at lower doses. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Use during pregnancy only if clearly needed.

Lactation:
    Dronabinol is concentrated and excreted in human breast milk, and is absorbed by the nursing baby. Because the effects of chronic exposure to the drug and its metabolites on the infant are unknown, nursing mothers should not use dronabinol.

Children:
    Not recommended for AIDS-related anorexia in children because it has not been studied in this population. Dosage for chemotherapy-induced emesis is the same as in adults. Use caution in children because of the psychoactive effects.

Precautions

Hypertension or heart disease:
    Use with caution as dronabinol may cause a general increase in central sympathomimetic activity.

Psychiatric patients:
    In manic, depressive, or schizophrenic patients, symptoms of these disease states may be exacerbated by the use of cannabinoids.

Drug abuse and dependence:
    Dronabinol is highly abusable. Limit prescriptions to the amount necessary for a single cycle of chemotherapy.

<HIGHLIGHT>
    It is not known what proportion of individuals exposed chronically to these drugs will develop either psychological or physical dependence. Long-term use of cannabinoids has been associated with disorders of motivation, judgment, and cognition. It is not clear if this is a manifestation of the underlying personalities of chronic users of this class of drugs or if cannabinoids are directly responsible.
    </HIGHLIGHT>

A withdrawal syndrome consisting of irritability, insomnia, and restlessness was observed in some subjects within 12 hours following abrupt withdrawal of dronabinol. The syndrome reached its peak intensity at 24 hours when subjects exhibited hot flashes, sweating, rhinorrhea, loose stools, hiccoughs, and anorexia. The syndrome was essentially complete within 96 hours. EEG changes following discontinuation were consistent with a withdrawal syndrome. Several subjects reported impressions of disturbed sleep for several weeks after discontinuing high doses.

Hazardous tasks:
    Because of its profound effects on mental status, warn patients not to drive, operate complex machinery, or engage in any activity requiring sound judgment and unimpaired coordination while receiving treatment. Effects may persist for a variable and unpredictable period of time. Dronabinol is highly lipid-soluble, and its metabolites may persist in tissues, including plasma, for days.

Drug Interactions

Some of the following drug interactions occurred following the use of marijuana. Although dronabinol has not been specifically cited in these instances, consider the possibility of a similar interaction.

Cannabinoid Drug Interactions

Precipitant drug --- Object drug* --- Description

Dronabinol --- Amphetamines, Cocaine, Sympathomimetics --- Additive hypertension, tachycardia, possibly cardiotoxicity, may occur.

Dronabinol --- Anticholinergics, Antihistamines --- Additive or super-additive tachycardia, or drowsiness may occur.

Dronabinol --- Antidepressants, tricyclic --- Additive tachycardia, hypertension, or drowsiness may occur.

Dronabinol --- Alcohol, Sedatives, Hypnotics, Psychomimetics ---
    Additive or synergistic CNS effects may occur. Also, clearance of barbiturates may be decreased, possibly because of inhibition of metabolism.

Cannabinoids --- Disulfiram --- A reversible hypomanic reaction occurred in a patient who smoked marijuana; confirmed by rechallenge.

Cannabinoids --- Fluoxetine --- A patient with depression and bulimia became hypomanic after smoking marijuana; symptoms resolved after 4 days.

Cannabinoids --- Theophylline --- Increased theophylline metabolism was reported with marijuana smoking.

Adverse Reactions

Cardiovascular:
    Palpitations, tachycardia, vasodilation(> 1%); conjunctivitis, hypotension (0.3% to 1%).

CNS:
    Euphoria (3% to 24%); dizziness, paranoid reaction, somnolence (3% to 10%); asthenia, amnesia, ataxia, confusion, depersonalization, hallucination, abnormal thinking (> 1%); depression, emotional lability, nightmares, speech difficulties, headache, anxiety/nervousness, tremors (< 1%).

Dermatologic:
    Flushing (0.3% to 1%); sweating (<1%).

GI:
    Nausea, vomiting (3% to 10%); diarrhea (0.3%to 1%); fecal incontinence, anorexia, hepatic enzyme elevation (< 1%).

Musculoskeletal:
    Myalgias (< 1%).

Special senses:
    Vision difficulties (> 1%); tinnitus(< 1%).

Respiratory:
    Cough, rhinitis, sinusitis (< 1%).

Overdosage

Symptoms:
    Mild intoxication:
    Drowsiness, euphoria, heightened sensory awareness, altered time perception, reddened conjunctiva, dry mouth, and tachycardia.

Moderate intoxication:
    Memory impairment, depersonalization, mood alteration, urinary retention, and reduced bowel motility.

Severe intoxication:
    Decreased motor coordination, lethargy, slurred speech, and postural hypotension.

Apprehensive patients may experience panic reactions, and seizures may occur in patients with existing seizure disorders.

The estimated lethal human dose of IV dronabinol is 30 mg/kg. Significant CNS symptoms in antiemetic studies followed oral doses of 0.4mg/kg.

Treatment:
    Manage potentially serious oral ingestion, if recent, with gut decontamination. In unconscious patients with a secure airway, instill activated charcoal via a nasogastric tube. A saline cathartic or sorbitol may be added to the first dose of activated charcoal. Place patients experiencing depressive, hallucinatory, or psychotic reactions in a quiet area and offer reassurance. Benzodiazepines (5 to 10 mg oral diazepam) may be used for treatment of extreme agitation. Hypotension usually responds to Trendelenburg position and IV fluids. Pressors are rarely required. Refer to General Management of Acute Overdosage.

Patient Information

Avoid alcohol and barbiturates.

May cause dizziness or drowsiness; do not drive or perform hazardous tasks requiring alertness, coordination, or physical dexterity.

Apprise patients of possible changes in mood and other adverse behavioral effects of the drug so they will not panic in the event of such manifestations.

Patients should remain under the supervision of a responsible adult.
    -------------
    -Drug Facts and Comparisons, updated through January 2003

21. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Neville, mescaline and it's related compounds are in psychadelic cacti, the same way psilocybin and psilocin are in psychadelic mushrooms..

www.erowid.org

PS - i just read the small ditty on Shulgin. I've read some of his trip report sand syntheses before...an amazing man. I didn't know he was still around..he went to Harvard, wow! Knows two languages and 3 string instruments..an amazing man. Hopefully more like him will arise..people who are intellectual about drugs, and knows their proper use etc.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2003
  22. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

Please give a more detailed citation for the information you posted.

oz

23. ozmonster Registered Senior Member

This is very misleading. Dronabinol IS NOT the principal substance present in marijuana. Dronabinol is not even in marijuana.

Dronabinol is a synthetic version of substance called THC. THC is the active ingredient in Marijuana.

Don't be confused: Dronabinol comes from a pharmaceutical company and the chronic comes from nature.

Not the oral form either. The oral form would be pot brownies, pot cookies, stoner spaghetti, etc

oz