What if we could see Alien Worlds?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cthulhu, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Cthulhu Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Imagine for a moment that we have massive telescopes in space and our astronomers have found living Alien Worlds circling other stars. The first pictures were blurry but now we have crystal clarity. Some planets have civilisations not totally unlike our own and much of what we see we can't really understand. A lot of it is frightening. Is the human psyche prepared for what we might discover?
    :m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I myself, wonder who it would have the greatest impact on. The human population in general to know we are not alone or the religious sectors.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

I think it would have an effect socially, but a lot less than if they were discovered near us. If we could see them at a distance, without any possibility of immediate interaction, the threat/potential/implications would have time to soak in.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. -iLluSiON- Registered Senior Member

If this was to happen, and if it was in America, then the government probably wouldn't want the public to know. Why? Simply because they know that it would have a traumatic affect on our own civilization. I think Hollywood should take part of the blame on this one. Most movies that deal with aliens deal with "evil" beings that are threatening our civilization...
    If the telescope was powerful enough to see the actual buildings and anything else that was of higher standards, I think that it would be a very frightening thing. If the public was to know then there would be numerous crackpot cults arising, people commiting suicide... but then you will have a burst of interests in astronomy and astrophysics. Either way, it would wreck society as we know it... BUT it would spawn new technologies on our own part.
    However, if what we are seeing is a primitive culture, it would probably be broadcasted on live TV

8. Cthulhu Banned Banned

I wonder if we could steal Alien technology through observing it. Knowing something is possible is halfway to attaining it I've heard said.
    It's a valid point that the public might be protected from seeing something too disturbing. Our neighbours will probably have both physical and cultural dissimilarities. Academics who have long assumed all intelligent Alien life to be peaceful and a reflection of our own ideals might be a little startled at the truth. I think the most frightening thing we could possibly discover is giant telescopes at their end trained on us.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I kind of have my doubts that any alien race would be as peaceful as most would like to paint them into being.

Any creature able to gain an intelligent foothold on a world to the point that they are not threatened by predators will have gotten there the same way we did by eliminating the completion. Survival would be a trait that you can bet will be a driving force. That means that they would have the same ability to fight.

If that is true then take it for what it is worth. Don't bet the farm they outgrew the trait that allowed them to survive.

10. Cthulhu Banned Banned

Isaac Asimov.
    From 'rules for Alien encounters', or something like that.

If their customs include cannibalism then I think it's safe to assume 'Alien life' won't be screening during prime time.

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I have said this before and I will say it again. Would we know that we are looking at life? If we could tell would we know if we are looking at intelligent life?

You could have Iron based life swimming through a planet's mantle. Crystaline fuzz that would grow on asteroids. Creatures made purely out of depleted matter on the surface of neutron stars. Self propogating storms in a planet.

If it was obvious enough for us to tell there would be a period of mass chaos. Pretty soon we would reach an equilibrium state though. As a species we have a knack for pulling ourselves back together. Nasa would get a big budget increase, biologists and artist and scifi authors would have a field day, and every religion would want to send missionaries.

Who knows. They might be looking at us right now and doing just what I just said themselves.

12. Cthulhu Banned Banned

You mean there could be an Alien David Letterman making fun of the squidgy looking hairy headed bipeds observed through the NASO(National Air and Space Organisation) Hobble telescope? Cool. I might even have my own series. A pity I can't have both the fame 'and' the fortune.

I can imagine his opening spiel...

I heard today that academics observing those neighbours of ours across the Milky Way have discovered some interesting things. Get this. They have huge vehicles for getting around the surface of their little planet. Every morning millions of these cars go into cities. All at the same time! We're obviously dealing with intelligent life forms here. They sometimes get gridlocked for hours. Spectrographic analysis of exhaust gases reveals they are poisoning their own planet's air supply. Then they repeat this simultaneous exodus in the reverse direction away from the cities a few hours later. Why, you ask. Well, we just don't know. Perhaps they don't know any better way to get around but get this. In vehicles capable of carrying 5 people there is only a single person nine times out of ten. Insane? You betcha. On top of that they have well established mass public transport systems and ignore them in favor of smog and gridlock. I don't think we need worry too much about being superceded intellectually in the near future. They are more of a threat to themselves than us. I can't wait to see what these giddy little critters are up to tomorrow. Hopefully they'll still be around tomorrow. Those guys really crack me up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am sure they would have just as many problems. Just different ones.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

As a takeoff of Cthulhu's:

Today it was announced that we have discovered life on another system. Most unusual life. Everyday these creatures perform a mating ritual gathering in strange geological places of weird formations. Upon arriving at their destination, they give birth to creatures that do not resemble themselves. After the birthing process they typically rest for a while before gathering their young and returning whence they came from.

15. Markquis matrix sciences,imagery. Registered Senior Member

LOGIC,ETC.

{why} look in space and were here!

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Nasa has trained the Hubble Space Telescope on the earth and has yet to find intelligent life.

17. Cthulhu Banned Banned

There is no reason to believe intelligence is the same for all sentient beings. I think something like 27 types of intelligence have been mapped for the human brain. Also, our science is directed by our morality. We didn't dissect a human body to see how it worked until comparatively recently. Even then it was considered sacriligous. We are limited by the our senses too. While putting a lot of effort into building telescopes we have put very little into smellascopes. A sentient doglike race might do it the reverse way. A Dogs sense of smell is incredible. They can differentiate between vast numbers of odours and track scents across deserts. Whereas they have rather ordinary black and white vision. Smellascopes to help analyse curious odours would be an interesting direction of science. We are shaped by our nature. Some Aliens could have stumbled across the secrets to warp drive technology yet have no fundamental understanding of electricity. Technology theft could become rampant with interstellar neighbours spying on one another.

18. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

You could also have a species with advanced technology of all kinds but no sapience per say. They might have archetecture, electcity, rocketry, etc however it might be instinctive just like mound building is to termites.

19. Cthulhu Banned Banned

But then who is to say collective intellect isn't true intelligence. Are not our own minds a collection of neurons working together? Isn't a computer only a collection of on off switches working together. We still know very little about the nature of intelligence. Ants, bees and termites might be of low IQ on an individual level but together their societies demonstrate a far higher degree of sentience. A larger more advanced structure(like human society as a whole) might even be communicable. When asked what intelligence is, a psychologist, when forced into a corner will most likely reply that "intelligence is what intelligence tests measure". They routinely juggle dozens of such synonyms on a daily basis. We are still struggling to comprehend exactly what intelligence means. The trouble is that we have little to compare our sentience to. All things measured need a guideline. Something to be measured against. Dolphins are quite smart but still relatively close to us genetically. They too are mammalia of Earth. Yet they inhabit a very different environment to us and communication has been difficult. Octopi are the smartest molluscs and perhaps the most Alien intelligence on Earth. Their evolutionary divergence from us is thought to predate brain development and yet they have evolved quite a similar central nervous system to vertebrates. Their brain has two hemispheres like ours. Yet their brains work quite differently. It's doubtful any kind of meaningful communication would be possible even if giant pacific octopi posessed a mind to body ratio on a par with our own.

I expect collective Alien intelligence will be unfathomable and yet recognisable by its impact on the homeworld, but who can know. The other end of the spectrum however is just as intriguing. Astronomy findings to date suggest Earthlike planets may be common and most will be older than the Earth. Therefore we might expect atleast a 50/50 chance of any intelligence discovered being more advanced than our own.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I wonder if there is any possibility they can be exactly like us... just common human beings...

I've never heard anyone coming with that before, so... what do ya think?

21. ralph nader Banned Banned

Try Remote Viewing my friend. It is amazing!

22. Markquis matrix sciences,imagery. Registered Senior Member

LOOK WITHIN SELF!!

Ok, 'bout all this alien business!

first off, I truly do believe with all my heart that they have and if they haven't came to visit they're coming to visit again. Because once they realized that Adam and Eve "fell" those heads were not gonna stick 'round so we could get up on them, they just bounced and left us a galaxy all to our own. why do you think Nasa can't find nothing on those damned planets, you know mars and all of them!

but seriously.....

reality is self, look between the guidelines of, paranormal and the "physically" normal. know, (not just know of ) the telepathic communications between self and the astral image and you will find the life form within.

were here!!