WordStar and WordPerfect

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Seeker01, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeker01 Guest

are they still around?
    for the latest windows OS ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cuvtixo Guest

Word*s

Wordstar is no longer sold. There is still a support group on the web, and I believe you can download versions for CP/M and for MS-DOS (although perhaps not the last or best release) If you really want to use an editor with lots of commands to memorize, you'd be better off with some version of Vi or even Emacs. Wordperfect is still for sale although they've discontinued the Mac version. I'm sure you can download Wordperfect for DOS somewhere (and its a very good dos app if that's what you're looking for) Look it up on google.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Corel have a downloadable(and crackable) trial version of Wordeperfect Office Suite 2002. This contains WP, Quattro Pro, paradox(access) and presentation(powerpoint) amongst other things.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wordstar Registered Member

You can still buy WordStar 4 from Trio USA, and other versions are available for sale on eBay. My Web site, The WordStar Resource Site!, also lists several other sources where you can buy WordStar - there are no legal free downloads anywhere.

WordStar 3.3 and earlier are likely to give you problems on newer computers, unless you repartition the hard disk or run it from floppies, but all later versions should run quite happily, even on the latest XP PCs! Your biggest problem is likely to be with printers although there are ways around this too.

If you need to to read and use your old WordStar files in other word processors you can find most of the answers here.

There is no need to junk WordStar, especially if you know the commands (which aren't that difficult to learn!) -- I even have a basic tutorial to get you started.

There are even WordStar Command Emulators to let you keep using WordStar commands in Microsoft Word!

8. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Don't you love it when people go searching on the internet for something related to their website or company and post on a messageboard relating to it? It can always be so informative!

Unfortunately they always have to register, post once, and never post again, which leads to inflated member numbers.

-AntonK

9. wordstar Registered Member

Of for their hobby, or to help answer someone's elses question - or their own, of course! Many people email me with a WordStar question - where can I get it? How can I install it? How can I convert it? - after they get the free answer you never hear from them again!

Is it a problem? I could have replied that - cuvtixo was wrong, that you can't buy it, instead I pointed to two Web sites where it can be bougnt - right now! and a third (which happens to be mine) where there are other places listed that it can be bought. So that gives you version 4 and 7 for DOS and version 2 for Windows - new, and from eBay, any version you care to wait for, mabe not new.

To the other original question, latest OS - also an answer - donn't use WordStar 3, but if you must, here's how to make it work. What more do you want. As you're complaining why didn't you provide the answers yourself?

cuvtixo mentioned support groups, well, I've expended on that and given three - Trio, Phillip Griffin-Allwood's site, and mine - which os the biggest of the three, and also links to yet more. I could have been less helpful by either not mentioning it, or by saying yes they exist but not saying where - which is the best way?

Inflated member numbers from my registering on these groups, which I hadn't seen until yesterday will help these groups - not my own - problem?

I don't understand where you're comming from.

10. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

No no, I appologize. The shear fact that you posted again proves I was wrong about you. There have been multiple times on this board where someone will mention a product and for whatever reason, the next post is a post by someone with the name of that product giving some sort of info on that product. It's actually a GOOD thing in my mind. If we're here to discuss things, I'd prefer to do it with the right information. The bad part is a great deal of the time, that user only posts once and never again. By posting again, you've proven you are not one of them.

-AntonK

11. wordstar Registered Member

Hi AntonK,

I was actually hunting for other WordStar items when by chance I bumped into this thread on Google. When I find messages from someone asking for help like this, and it's not two years old <g>, I'll reply.

Unfortunately, even to make a one-off comment you have to register - with my one discussion group too. I thought I'd be able to change the name I used to sign up with (wordstar) to one I'd post with - wrong, and I should have latched on better to the question being asked and used a real name. Too late, you can't change it without resigning and re-registering, or persuading the forum admin to change it.

I don't know how much will be of interest here, and I'm not sure how often I'll visit - we'll see.

Cheers
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.