Best Prices/Games

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Pollux V, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think I've decided to get an x-box, I've been fed up with my pc and the fact that none of my games run very well. I'm probably going to get the x-box pack with two games even though neither of them look very good, I couldn't find just an x-box.

I've thought about getting Halo, Morrowind, and Mechwarrior. I just inherited some cash soooooooooooooo any ideas would be helpful as well as the best places to get them (other than ebay).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

Sorry Pollux, but while people are answering your post maybe they could answer something for me too, re the x-box, and then answers to you wil help me too.

My son just got an x-box and I was going to get him some games from here, in North America, thinking they'll be cheaper. He says they're sooooo expensive in the UK he'll have to save his pocket money FOREVER.

Anyway, my ex-husband says if I buy them here, they won't work on a UK x-box. Just thought I'd check

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is this so, and (out of curiosity), why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Many movies and music cd's are this way. They have regional codes that are only recognised by the player if it is the same. This is done to prevent just what you are thinking of. I am not sure that game cartridges are the same but it would not suprise me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I don't know anything about x-box...but if US games don't work in a UK box, they're making you guys pay the price they set for you, just some profit protection on their part.

Japan games (traditionally) won't work on a US box because the actual box is wired differently, but that can be taken care of with some sort of chip I think. Maybe with the change in current, they tweaked a few other things for Europe models to prevent people doing things like your trying to do

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it costs 30 euros in Latvia to take off the protection from PS2.
    maybe also x-box

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

*he says sarcastically*

Thanks for the help everyone!

My budget is $350. That should be enough for at least three games, right? If I look around a little bit I might be able to squeeze another one in.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

get illegal copies for 5$ a piece

that is like 70 games for $350 (of course minus x-box)

I still not see the reason for x-box
    pc is better
    upgrade it

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The problem with upgrading my pc is that it is significantly more expensive and even if I do then I won't be able to play every game for the pc at perfect or near perfect frame rates. That's the only problem with PCs. So I'm going to switch to x-box gaming, except for strategy games, which typically don't go nuts on the graphics (can't wait for MOO3).

This thinking started when I tried to install Clarentavious' geforce 2. It wouldn't fit so I stuck my old one back in and now the computer won't register my good video card

I'm going to have another go at the fucker sooner or later...

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

x-box has worse graphics than you can get on pc

old motherboard probably
    try taking out and again in your good vid card. you might have put it in the slot incorrectly or too weak

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah that's what I've been thinking. Clarentavious if you're reading this, which I don't doubt that you are, then I plan to give it one last shot with your card tonight or tomorrow before I send it back.

I know the graphics aren't as good but they are damn good and they should run near-perfectly with any game that I stick in there.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

out of shere curiosity, would you mind listing your current pc specs, Shrike?

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I listed them a million times but oh well...

at the moment

8mb video card
    256mb sdram
    windows 98
    er....

anything else in particular?

my family got the computer three or four years ago....it was moderately good then

16. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

Sorry, Pollux. Sort of hijacked your thread there.
    Thanks everyone for clearing that UK thing up. (and gosh shock horror my ex was right. Drats! I hate that

:m:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.