Viruses put to good use

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Lykan, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

I was thinking earlier that if virus-makers wanted to become heroes, all they would have to do is go from making email viruses to making spyware viruses.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Think of it. Modifying existing spyware / trojans / adware so that the information they send back is useless, and maybe even invasive and it somehow infiltrates the companies' systems and screws up the data that they've been collecting (stealing) from peoples' computers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyone tech-enough to know whether this is possible or not?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Anything is possible

Basically, spy-ware are commercial trojans.

I dont think that people would ever think of virus makers as heros. Would you want band width being eaten up by Trojans on your computer? I wouldnt.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

I know what you mean, but if it would make spyware companies think twice before using spyware, i think it would be worth considering.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

White-virii/virus (coined because of the nature of White-Hacks) are in existance, there was one sort that actually was created to try an deal with the manifestation of a particular worm.

It would enter your system and then alter your Registery files in the same way that the bad virii did, but in doing so it would "immunise you" against that virus.

This in certain respect would be the best way to take out worms, but Companies like Norton would be a little upset because it would be like a FREEWARE/OPEN SOURCE project in comparison to their company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.