Nividia vs ATI

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ElectricFetus, Dec 29, 2002.

?

ATi or Nvidia which rules the Graphics world?

1. ATi

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Nvidia

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If your a gamer like me then you know all about these two bitter rivial. Unlike Intal the king and AMD the underdog... Nvidia and ATI are very evenly match in the video card and console market. But recently ATI new R250 GPUs have over taken Nvidia N25s. That means the it better to buy a ATI Radeon 9500 over a slightly higher priced Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4400 (like mine L )

But there is hope for Nvidia with it new GeForce FX card coming out (some day!). This card will support 64 and 128 bit colors (like the ones in CG movies), but will this be of any value to the common pc gamer?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I bough an ATI RADEON video card recently and that speaks for itself

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Nvidia got where they are today for the wrong reasons. Right now they have a huge holding in the graphics card market. I would say ATI right now just to balance out the power. Keep the competition up. We consumers will profit in the end.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Six to Zero... It official everyone hates Nvidia! Hey I voted ATi onlike most people I buy what is avalible in my price range and at the time a Geforce 4 ti4400 for $185 was a sweet deal... if I had waited 2 months I could have got a Radeon 9500 for $182 that kick gf4 @$$ in eye candy. I love eye candy!

8. laxweasel Registered Senior Member

Gearrrgh...the only reason I like NVidia is b/c of AA!
    But that is a pretty good reason. NEVER DOWNLOAD STUFF OFF THEIR SITE THOUGH!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

aaah ATi new Radeons support AA6! Also AF16! they also have trueform which does wonders for old games like those that run on say the half-life engine

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. The Radeon 9500 beats the crap out of all the GF4ti in AA and AF! so ATi is (for now) ahead of Nvidia in every category!

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Have you seen the big-tittied fairy chick? Oh MAN. Hehe. The Geforce FX is gonna rock. Looks BAD ASS. I'm getting one this summer. They should be available for purchase around the first of feb.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes, 64 bit color will be sweet! Don’t know about 128 though. I don't think I want to pay the $400+ price tag on that thing though there is and advantage to buying it... it will probably still perform great by 5 years from now!

13. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

I really don't care who wins what. When it's my time to upgrade the video card, I will pick the best on the market. Brand loyalty is for the closed mind.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

AMEN to that brother... thats why I bought a GF4ti even though I like ATi, the Gf4ti was the best out there at my price range at that moment... though if I had waited @#$% 6 more weeks Ooooooh dam!

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Just wanted to bring this poll back up front... please tell us your preference in detail.

I did some @#$%ing with my Leadtek Geforce 4 ti4400. I remove the dual 40mm fans and replace it with a quieter 80mm power by the motherboard. To improve Air flow I epoxied Alm. foil around the heat sink on the side of the fan to force all the air through the heat sink fins... this also make this mod permanent.

I also hot roded the AGP voltage control on the motherboard and video now am running stably beyond ti4600specs at 320Mhz GPU and 700Mhz VCRAM.

Some of the problems with the Leadtek GeForce 4 cards are:
    - dual fans are noise and the filters come of quickly and need to be removed
    - dust bunny grow under the heat sinks and fry the card... so when the video card starts crashing and hallucinating check under the heat sink, clean out the dust under there with alcohol, apply new thermal grease that is NOT oil based or the problem will happen again.

17. norad Registered Senior Member

Good advice, WCF. ATI has been doing great leaps and bounds. I don't know if I would get one, not just yet anyway. Seems to me they have quite a few problems with their chipsets, but upgrading drivers can ALMOST always solve that problem.

I did make a bad mistake once. I bought a Hercules 3D Prophet with the Kyro 2 chipset; it was competing with Nvidia's MX chipset at the time I believe. The card produced some really strange problems. Mechwarrior 3, when looking out the right side of the cockpit or the left side, the arm was being rendered on the inside of the cockpit! Another thing that was strange was with Grand Prix 3. The game does some tests to automatically set the graphics to the card's capabilities; doesn't do a bad job of it either, but everytime it would do tests in D3D, the damn thing ran like sludge! I mean, 8 fps! The other thing was with the dx 8 dialogue box. The enable/disable AGP texturing wasn't even available-it was greyed out. I took the damn thing back, and I got all of my money back-since it's a computer shop that I deal with all the time. That turned me off of Guilmott. Asus turned me off to with their lousy tech support. I won't go into details, long story, but Asus lost me.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ya Nvidia's only advatage right now it the reliability and stability of there drivers. All deonator drivers are compatable and RivaTuner is the Bomb with no ATI conterpart that can dare match it, but still the Radeon 9500 and above bet all that Nvidia can provied right now... Except the Geforce FX which (finally!) is out. At $430 though its cost $130 more then a Radeon 9700Pro. But the geforce FX does out perform.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/index.html

19. norad Registered Senior Member

Ya Nvidia's only advatage right now it the reliability and stability of there drivers.

So true. You're right though WCF, that Radeon 9500 does kick! I've seen the benchmarks, but once ATI gets the driver reliability, well, hopefully *once*, Nvidia will have to pick up their socks. But, hey, I'm all for the competition, if it gets me the card that kicks ass!

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No games yet have 64bit colors so we will have to wait to see that. I can tell 32 is limited and 64 should be perfect and crystal clear (all CG movies are in 64bit color)... but 128! What are going to do with that? What are they going to start showing colors in the IR and UV for “enhanced realism”?

ATI has got this idea and their newest video cards (Radeon 9800Pro , Radeon 9600Pro and Radeon 9200) support 64 and 96bit FP colors as well as have instruction ranges that are as good as or better then the GeForce Fx and probably more then ready for Direct X... 10!

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDM5

In this link I provided above ignore the GeForce FX comparisons: those are actually GF4ti46 score! Dam lying mother…

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003
  21. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Fetus,
    I am a gamer like you, and have had much success with my GeForce 440. Runs smoother than anything I have encountered yet so far. However, I work in the IT dept. of a large radiology division of a major health system. Total pc's number well over a hundred. We run almost exclusively Dell machines with a smattering of Acer boxes. All of our Dell machines are equipped w/ati video. It SEEMS that most of their mass produced machines have ati video. The ati chips seem to be highly reliable. I guess I like them both.
    Some of our image viewing pc's use Matrox video cards to run super high rez 2k monitors, so I would imagine they would be capable of manufacturing a quality home pc card as well

P.S. The new Dell machines seem to SUCK! Nothing but problems. You name it, they have it. Personally, I build my own, and plan to do so for a long time.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ha never buy a pre-build machine! Its not hard building one and you can usually do it for cheaper and not get screwed with utter crap in the process.

Sorry to say this but ATI is kicking Nvidia @$$ in every way now. The GeForce FX is good but its just not far enough ahead to bet ATI slightly upgraded Radeons. The Newest Radeons are far cheaper; with all the same features and more, and can even out perform. Only thing Nvidia has now is a slight sense of ruggedness and reliability. My overclocked, overcooled, GF4 may only put out 35FPS in UT2003 benchmark with Quincunx AA on and AF 8 but god dam it does this stable and well. Once they have a RivaTuner for ATI cards I could die happy!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003
  23. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.