Sleep aids

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by NenarTronian, Dec 27, 2002.

1. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Anyone have any tried and true sleepaid? Something to be taken long term that is. Prescription, chinese, herbal..what have you. Something that can be taken every night without creating addiction, without needing to up the dosage, etc.

Any help or thoughts appreciated

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Ambien works fast and pretty good. Prescription only. Melatonin should work well on some people. To others it gives nightmares.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Frieda Registered Senior Member

melatonin gives me BAD nightmares. gruesome nighttime adventures. but it's different for everyone.. might be worth a try!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

To those, melatonin gives nightmares, I have found that, they have childhood trauma.

8. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I suffer from realistic nightmares as well...nothing that could give me nightmares please!

kmguru,
    Is ambien habit-forming? And can it be used long term?

Thanks for the responses so far

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. kmguru Staff Member

Anything can be habit forming including Coke or Pepsi. When you are taking it, just be aware of it and set up a rule ahead of time like take the pill Sunday through Thursday for a Mon-Fri work week. Then you will be fine.

I can take anything without making a habit such as alcohol, smoking or codiene. (I am a non-smoker, social drinker) But as I understand it, some items such as opium are so powerful that it changes the brain chemistry to a point of no return. I stay away from it. Standard prescription drugs are usually safe but it all depends on your physiology. Any drugs you take - over the counter, so called natural, herbal, or prescription should be reviewed, and monitored for side effects. Watch for drug interactions too. Be cautious, knowledgable, but not paranoid is my motto.

10. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

thanks for the tips

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

oh, pleeeze, who doesn't have some bit of childhood trauma or other to dredge up in their live's?

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

When I was a teen, I learned to self-hypnoize. A sort of relaxation and trance state, that leaves you feeling as if you are floating above the bed. From there it is realitively easy to drift off into sleep.

At first it takes time to accustom yourself to it. Practice makes it far easier and results can be obtained quickly and with time it becomes easier and quicker.

Position your body where it lays without stress or strain. Contentrate on relaxing the muscles of one foot. You should repeat to yourself for this or that muscle to relax. When you get the hang of it, you will feel that muscle relax. Proceed through the body this way, ending at the head. At first the results will come slowly and you may have to repeat it. Later you will feel to float over the surface of the bed. Quite relaxing it is. To aid in calming the mind, look up through closed eyelids. The idea is to slightly strain the muscles of the eyes in holding that position. When you get the hang of it you will know...

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

yes.

14. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Hm wet1
    Thanks for the new relaxation technique. I think i'll try it out. I've felt the "floating above the bed" thing before, but never done it intentionally. Reminds me alittle bit of what dissociative anesthetic users feel..or that astral projection crap..but hey if it helps my insomnia, alright!

thanks again

15. Neville Registered Senior Member

Have u tried hitting yourself over the head with a mallet??

I have trouble sleeping too so i havent got a clue what to try Nenar. I agree pumpkins. Everyone has had some childhood trauma e.g. all children have cried at some point whether it was because their mum took too long shopping and the child didnt think she'd return or whether it was parents splitting up (every child has cried and this is because of a trauma) but i know what ur saying kmguru.

16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

17. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Hehe. Of course, i considered that Bebelina. And it would prove the most useful of all huh? Nature's medicine has so many uses..

Too bad i live with my parents!

18. kmguru Staff Member

Here is a recipe that would work well: Honey + a few mint leaves + :m: (grind it well) before bedtime. Dont take too much.

I think it is legal in Canada??

19. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a tasy recipe to me.

It's semi-legal in Canada, depending where you live. Even if i LIVED in Canada

i don't think my parents would approve

Pennsylvanian here.

20. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

If you don't want to upset your parents, then try some warm milk with a little butter, honey and cinnamon.

21. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

try not to sleep, to stay up all night, that works for me

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Oh, that's horrible. I've done it a number of times myself. It only throws you into an evil circle of insomnia. you will end up sleeping when you are supposed to be awake instead, it will ruin your life, don't do it, don't......

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm currently at it, but the thing is that I think better at nights. I'm am better aware of my thoughts and have more inspiration to write essays, poems, whatever

my sister says on the subject