My first walking robot project

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Clockwood, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am currently working on constructing a foot long walking robot in my spare time. It will have six legs articulated in such a way as to let it walk in a half dozen different ways. It will have rudementary shock-absorbers in its legs amd be very flexible.

The whole shebang will be controlled through a cable protruding from one end. I am thinking about a camera attatched to the other. My scanner is currently AWOL so I have a monocrome bitmap image attatched to this post.

What do you think? This is my first nonwheeled robot so im keeping it simple. What should I call it?

I am also thinking I could fuse two or three of these things together into a centipede like creature.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hlreed Registered Senior Member

Glad to see someone actually building something. Call it a hexabot.

Harold

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

What would you call it if you hooked several of these things end to end? (kind of like a centipede)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hlreed Registered Senior Member

I call all my machines animachines, from animal machines or animated machines. Take your pick. This centipede notion is good. That means you have code for leg pairs. Since we are talking about names, call it an n-Bot where n is the number of leg pairs.

Harold

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am thinking I could work it so you only have to really control the first pair of legs and the rest move largely in reaction. It would simplify things amazingly.

9. hlreed Registered Senior Member

Right. Steering is only required on the front legs if the legs are decoupled.
    Harold

10. justin_Sane Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.