Security threat?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Dec 19, 2002.

?

Do you use kazaa to get software?

1. no

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. yes

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. whats kazaa?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. i would if i had it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

You know how people use kazaa to get software off of...I was just wondering, does this pose a security threat except viruses, trojans and the obvious security vunrabilities?

cheers.

:m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I use to use Kakrap. Now Im a happy user of WinMX. Its the best p2p thingy out there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bachus Registered Senior Member

No Kazaa

FTP all the way

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

FTP fer me!

8. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I've used Kazaa to get many-a-programs. And MANY of them do have viruses (sp?) but they are easy to catch if you got some virus software. I find that bigger software files (200+mb) usually don't have anything lurking in them.

As for any other security threat.....I can't see any. I've been using a few programs and games from kazaa and nothing bad has happened to me.......yet. I don't have a firewall or any other security measures besides a virus-checker.

If you want to get software from kazaa look for ones that at least 10 people have....those are usually pretty clean.

Always scan the file before you open it...then after installation scan all the files it put on your computer before you run it. Definitely don't download anything unless you have a virus-checker

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I use Kazaa religiously. The only problem I've had is jackasses renaming the files

Example: I downloaded a Metallica song (Fixxxer) and it turned out to be an Eninemeninenwhatever song

This isn't so bad, but it's when you spend three hours downloading a 600mb file and find out it doesn't work or is a completely different thing, then I get pissed

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The only security threat from file share I would be aware of is the Hackshare (To which I don't think exists just yet).

The principle idea is that the "hackshare" program would share CPU usage for cracking and bandwidth of a persons connection to then target particular Sites/IP's to gain access or just DoS them into the dirt.

Such a tool could very easily be created and if the right targets were picked it could cause the internet to come to a standstill.

11. Jerece Hunters Dumlupinar Registered Senior Member

I Have the same problem Like urs

Hi Thor i have the same problem like yours.When i try to search a software or a song the given name is not correct and aaggh

i dont wanna have the corrupt or renamed files....

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Thats why you download the song until it hits about 5% and then hit the play button. That way you know what your downloading.

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

aye, but you have to download a whole program just to find out the zip file is corrupted or contains a virus or some other mis-hap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.