Gated Community

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by kmguru, Dec 16, 2002.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Interesting social development...reminds me off old city walls during the dawn of civilization...something never change....

Gated communities more popular, and not just for the rich
    By Haya El Nasser, USA TODAY

NEW ORLEANS — To find refuge from the bawdy French Quarter and the faded elegance of downtown, the wealthy here live in gated suburban communities with names that whisper exclusivity: English Turn, Barkley Estates and Oakland Plantation.

Six-foot brick walls and iron fences encircle these enclaves of luxury homes. Electronic gates and 24-hour security guards keep outsiders away. The streets are spotless, the landscaping lush.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002-12-15-gated-usat_x.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A secluded society will often do extremely well in its own little corner of the world until exposed to forign competition. One large scale example is Feudalist japan. They were great, having vast armies, unique art, and supurb dicipline. Yet despite this they could not cope with a single steel hulled american ship.

Sadly people seem to love making the same mistake again and again and again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I don't doubt that this fact is repeated in every society that has ever existed.

But if the rich want to be alone with each other, let them do so. Chances are that if they live there and they never leave the area then they're probably assholes anyway and therefore not worthy of your company

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

The city where I live- in the past 5 years, thay have entirly ripped up the developing section of town so there is a whopping 3 streets that go through. Its so fucking lame, and the only reason for it is to make it harder to run from the cops.

Some argue less traffic, which is a localised effect and overall traffic is increased from having a longer distance to drive plus the same congested streets. My city is lame.