The FX of Colours

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by %BlueSoulRobot%, Dec 12, 2002.

1. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

(possibly another crackpot theory) :m:

Could the natural shades of a person affect their personality, and what others view of them? For example, there are studies that show which colours can suppress our appetite, or which ones induce higher learning levels. (i.e. red will increase irritation, and extroverts would thrive in brightly coloured environments as opposed to introverts subject to the same colour scheme would be agitated) So perhaps the colours of a person could enhance certain characteristics, giving Nature a one-up over Nurture?

Curious...there are many colour-based stereotypes, like blondes being airhead and giggly, redheads being wild and fiery, and brunettes as eggheads or stable. People who dress in all black are tormented, people with freckles supposedly are "cute" or adventurous, etc. (Note: These are stereotypes. No real evidence is given to prove the statements.) Be the grain of truth behind this large or small, it definitely has impact on the people mentioned (blondes, redheads, brunettes). Dumb blonde jokes are quite famous...maybe this will provoke blondes to achieve more education, in order to disprove the "theory"?

Another example: The Olympic symbol. Five rings: blue, yellow, black, green, and red. Each to represent a continent: Europe, Asia, Africa, the Americas and Oceania. According the Olympic charter, each colour is supposed to be a country. However, the inventor Baron Pierre de Coubertin said nothing about it. Perhaps this is another stereotyping since the symbol has gained public recognition, evoking different ideas of the peoples of these lands based on which colour represents it?

Interior:
    Looking at Asians, most (if not all) have black hair and dark brown eyes. An experiment with football players showed that if they were to wear black uniforms and black helmets, they would be more aggressive. Would this have any implications on an Asian's behaviour? Maybe because of their black hair, they would be more domineering or competitive? Looking at historical events, you can see relate back to Japan's fierce and dedicated attacks during WW2, China's invention of gun powder, noodles, paper, the compass, etc., and modern Japan's intense grip on world markets....These are facts. Might these not have been stimulated subconsciously by the fact that black influences competition?

Exterior:
    People's reactions could very well trigger some behaviours that are now stereotypical of these colours. For example, a study showed that a male child placed in blue would recieve comments like "He's a fine, healthy, strong baby." The same male baby placed in pink clothing would be subject to baby talk, and more coddling, because the test subjects thought he was a female. So, maybe the colours you were born with could generate standard responses and thus mold you into the stereotypical image for that colour.

-Blue% :m: (Yes, I knew the implications of the colour blue when I made up my screenname. It was probably why I chose it.)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is the website I found to look for information to support my idea. http://www.colormatters.com/entercolormatters.html , plus my SAP textbook. (Sociology, Anthropology, and Psychology course)