Would you become part of the change?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jandt, Dec 12, 2002.

1. jandt remlik Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Iin the stuff on that site? Doubt it. At least not in some big, meanigful way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

More people go, we drop the bomb => less idiots out there.

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

No, I think the awareness has always been there. Yet society is too blind and/or brainwashed to use it.

Were all doomed

9. jps Valued Senior Member

If I thought that this would genuinely make a difference I would go. International activists from the International Solidarity Movement(ISM) have at significant personal risk, done great things in occupied Palestine. The situation is different in Iraq. I do not believe that there would be a great deal of sympathy for people who went to Iraq to be human shields. If the US went to war with Iraq, it would dismiss these people as terrorists or terrorist sympathizers.

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I dont think this is true. We have rallys all the time here in Berkeley and SF. Ive never once heard the news or newspaperw refer to the activists as "terrorists or terrorists sypmathizers". They view them as "Americans for peace" or "Anti-War activists".

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Ummm.....

12. jps Valued Senior Member

Having peace rallys is a far cry away from going to a country that the United States is at war with with the stated intention of stopping the war.
    Not that I think there's anything wrong with doing that, I just don't think it would be effective given the political climate.

13. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I didnt say it was the same thing. But whether your marching in a rally or having a sit-in in front of a tank - your still protesting the war, and you will not be viewed as a "Terrorist sypmathizer".

Comprende?

14. jps Valued Senior Member

Protesting the war is one thing. Interfering with it is another.

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

To an extent, Ill agree. But the whole point I was trying to make was they will not be looked as "terrorist supporters". Its the same as you call people that sit in trees so they wont get cut down?

Let me guess.... Canadian right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. jps Valued Senior Member

Shortly after 9/11 there was a speakout against war at the city university of ny,
    the next day there was a big article in the New York Post headlined: CCNY BASHES AMERICA complete with calls for all the faculty associated with the speak outs fired. this is in response to a few people getting together and saying what they thought about the war. This amount of media attention directed towards a small demonstration like this is very unusual. In fact the recent 100,000 plus strong march in DC against war in Iraq recieved almost no media coverage. The NY times had only a small article saying that "a few thousand" gathered to protest the war.
    Actually going to Iraq to act as a human shield although a very noble idea, would be useless. Most people in the United States would never even hear about it, and if they did, it would be mentioned briefly in passing, my guess is something like this "American Iraqi sympathizers killed in bombing"

17. jps Valued Senior Member

Canadian?
    no..New Yorker, actually

18. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Sorry, inside joke around here

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

If they actually go there, 5000 people to form a human shield, then we can begin to talk about evolution. I would not go however, because I have too many people depending on me being alive right here.

20. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

bel... If you have 5000 people form a human shield we wioll be talking about evolution. In many countries the government would just machine gun the lot of them. (In fact britain did something like that in india in Mahatma Ghandi's time) They would be removed from the genepool and the survivors would be those that did not make the shield and thus chances are it will not happen again for a long while.

21. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

No I say the crowd gets more stupid, dumb and numb all the time.

Greetz fukushi