whats your REAL IQ?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by A Canadian, Dec 3, 2002.

1. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

remeber back in school when they made you take thoes IQ test...
    humans can never realize their true IQ for facts i list below

1) not all IQ tests are the same
    2) IQ tests only tackle book smarts,,, what about the other forms of human inteligents? musical smarts.... street smarts... (i belive there is 6 or 7 differnt forms of human IQ, can someone back this up for me?)
    3) how can one answere a question, inwhich has not learned the answere. when i took a IQ test back in Elementry school, it ask me questions inwhich i could of no way known the answere due to the fact they had no been taught to me at the time
    4) age... to determine real IQ , tests should be taken every 5-10 years....
    5) banged your head latly? drank too much beer? smoked a phatty?

food for thought, id like to hear replys as to my 2nd fact mostly

(and yes i understand the irony of talking about IQ and my poor spelling and gramer, see im smart, just in my own way)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tigers2B1 Registered Member

A valid IQ test shouldn't test for "book smarts." Learned knowledge (facts) and the 'mental ability' which is tested by IQ tests are different. That's why IQ test questions shouldn't be of the type that you can study for or gain the answer to in your day-today activities. Some 'Culture Free' IQ test questions ask you to look at patterns and to note the relationships or to see the diffferences. Different kinds of questions can be used when attempting to measure ones ability to see these relationships and differences. Numbers can be used as well as short logic questions.

The IQs of monozygotic twins (identical twins) are very similar, whether raised together or raised apart. This leads some to conclude that genetics has a strong role in ones IQ measured abilities.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. platzapS Registered Senior Member

iq

yeah, most of today's written iq/sat tests are inaccurate because of poor answer choices or because some intelligent people have bad test-taking skills. Though I think they should be changed, i like them cause the multiple-choice type things aren't too hard for me. hope they can become more fair though--and yeah, my english professor says there's many different types of intelligences. Interesting topic, Canadian

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bdurio1 Registered Member

simple evolution tells us that genes have everything to do with IQ. what 's difficult to ascertain is if IQ is a mutable property--if a person's ability to sharpen thinking and logic skills is considered by current IQ testing.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

<i>2) IQ tests only tackle book smarts,,, what about the other forms of human inteligents? musical smarts.... street smarts... (i belive there is 6 or 7 differnt forms of human IQ, can someone back this up for me?)</i>

It is true that standard IQ tests only look at logical reasoning, language, finding patterns and some mathematical skills. They ignore social intelligence, emotional intelligence, musical giftedness, practical ability, physical ability and so on.

<i>3) how can one answere a question, inwhich has not learned the answere. when i took a IQ test back in Elementry school, it ask me questions inwhich i could of no way known the answere due to the fact they had no been taught to me at the time </i>

Some questions on IQ tests test general knowledge- knowledge which need not be specifically taught but which gauges your general knowledge about the world in relation to other people in your social group. Testers have to be careful with these types of questions, because they are usually culture-specific.

<i>4) age... to determine real IQ , tests should be taken every 5-10 years....</i>

IQ test results are adjusted for age.

<i>5) banged your head latly? drank too much beer? smoked a phatty?</i>

Performance on the day can make some difference, but usually a small difference.
    --------

Some tests are better than others. I have seen questions where more than one answer is possible and justifiable, but where the testers have anticipated only one way of reasoning about the answer. This kind of thing punishes lateral thinking.

9. Phaedrus Nullius in verba Registered Senior Member

Howard Gardener is one of the leading psychologists on the theory of multiple intelligences. If you want to learn more about it, read Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences. However take it with a grain of salt, he claims that Einstein is the example of something with a amazing amount of capacity in mathematics. However it is well known (to historians) that for Einstein, mathematics was his weak point. He had to enlist help a number of times to work on his theories. However, Gardener`s idea is an interesting one.

- Phaedrus

10. Neville Registered Senior Member

Yes but it may be fun for you but i for one have trouble with spelling and grammar especially when i am typing fast. i usually post before i realise even though sometimes ive proof read it and still ended up posting it

. I dont think you should make jokes of such things.
    I used to think that there were different types of intelligences but now i am not so sure. Before i write any more can someone please tell me what emotional intelligence is supposed to be: understanding how one is feeling or being able to attribue the right description of emotion to the actual emotion ie knowing that when your feeling sad you are actually feeling sad, and not say angry or lost (although these could be a part of 'sad'). If i had to say know what i think intelligence is i would say that it is the ability to think logically and objectively. To think reason-ably! i.e. think in a reasoned way.
    I think your second pioint is true. A lot of tests i have seen only test your memory! This has nothing to do with intelligence!!

This is alos why i do not like Bob Monkeyhouse (

). He is supposedly a comedian yet all he does is remember jokes and pull one out relating to the subject in question

I think there could be different types of intelligences though A canadian i.e. musical but i dont think street smart is one.But maybe thats just me.