Etymology of racist terms

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by prozak, Dec 3, 2002.

1. prozak Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Etymology? Most of these he doesn't trace, or he makes some stupid attempt at it.

Canuck - not sure?
    Chink - chin kuo, dialectal Chinese (Shanghaiese, I think?)
    Hebe - from "hebrew"
    Jap - from "japan"
    Kike - from the Yiddish "kikel", for circle. when Yiddish people were immigrating to the US in very large numbers, people were required to sign with a cross, but since they felt that was a symbol of Christianity, they used "kikel"s.
    Nigger - corruption of the English "negro" (originally from Portuguese?)
    Nip - corruption of "nippon", the Japanese word for Japan, used more widely in Oz and NZ than elsewhere.
    Paki's - corruption of Pakistani. Heard more in the UK than in the US.
    Polock - (corruption of a Polish word, I think)
    Spik - from "espik" in "no espik english"
    Gringo - from "green grows", part of the name of a song sung by many soldiers during the Mexican-American war
    Mic/Mick - from the Gaelic "mc", meaning "son of", a part of most Irish surnames (also common is O')
    Slope - from the Asian trait of slanted eyelids
    Slant - same as "slope"
    Gook - from the Korean "kuk", for nation. during the Korean War, Koreans would ask soldiers (using the common idea that if you say something in a simplified way, people will know what you mean even if they don't know your language) "minguk?", meaning simply, America.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Sandniggers - a pretty novel term , mostly used by some white americans as a very broad generalisation of anything Semetic, also attributing "nigger" like quality to them....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

some words used to describe the white race:

surinam : potatoe
    chinese : ghost
    black-us: honky (could somebody tell me how it originated?)

8. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

ghost? uhh... no they don't. They say "ang mo lang" in Taiwan and Singapore and Malaysia and a lot of China. It means "red demon person", from that many Westerners have red hair and ghastly white skin, and this was the description of a demon in the times when Westerners first came to China.

9. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

I had it described as ghost from a hong-kong chinese, but we sure seem to belong to the demons world in asia

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

While this thread is mildly upsetting (I don't enjoy racial slurs, and I hope that no one else here does either) it is necessary to understand where these words come from and how they were used, they are of historical interest to.

I think that most of these words start out as slang and then evolve into something more. Or it can be the opposite, the words can go from racial slurs and then become slang. We all know which word Im talking about when I say that. (And I never ever say that word)

These websites are of interest, and I believe to be political statements, not insults:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com - A parody site about how white people act around black people.

http://rsdb.fuck.org/ - A racial slur database. Most of them are for comedic purposes, but this does prove a point; words can hurt.

11. spookz Banned Banned

prozak

dont you have to peddle your records somewhere?? get moving boy! times a
    wasting

12. jps Valued Senior Member

bok wai
    cantonese for "white ghost" or "white monster"

13. xaphan906 Registered Member

For those who don't know, a "Canuck" is somebody from Canada. It isn't a rude or offensive term, just a nickname....like somebody from New Zealand is called a "Kiwi" ...same Idea.

So it isn't racist or offensive, but just don't use it in a rude way (I'm from Canada, so watch it EH!) lol

Cheers

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Honky=pig, because of a pig's skin colour.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You will be able to confirm, then, how Canada acquired its name. As I understand it a government committee, established for the purpose could not reach agreement. Consequently, they decided to draw letters at random from a bag. A Scrabble set was promptly acquired and the committee chairman drew three letters in turn, announcing each to the group in the traditional Canadian way.
    "C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?"
    Thus was named a great nation of snow and ice, actors who are mistaken for Americans, the Calgary Stampede and the Stanley Cup.

16. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

IIRC, "Canada" means "this land" in some native tongue.