our netnames

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Avatar, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

our netnames

persons on internet use letter combinations which they call their netnames or nicknames.
    They are known for those names and are being addressed through them.
    When I use my netname "Avatar" I expect others to call me in that name also. Today Captain_Crunch called me in my real name (not that others haven't)- I had a weird feeling as if he wasn't addressing me-Avatar, but some other person. Maybe I have schizophrenia? lol I duno. I've sorta taken "Avatar" as my real name (is it because my real name was given me by my parents not me?) - on net at least, and I would feel much better if I was called by it offline also.
    What are your relations to your netnames?
    Is your personality somehow attached to it?

do you think that people when they reach 18 years should sign an agreement that they agree to their name?

I have nothing against mine (but I would also have nothing against "Avatar"), and I know that I can change it, but it's a messy process.

disclaimer: I have put this thread into "human science" because we have no human psychology forum
    moderators are free to put this wherever they want.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I used to have as my internet name a character from a story, but I got sick of it when everyone kept asking me what it meant. Adam it is. I have considered changing my name here to Scaramouche; it sort of suits.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

My net name didn't even apply to me when I thought it up. But then, somehow, it became my nickname. Probably because I don't comb my hair. Is my personality somehow attatched to it? I think so in the sense that it is my online persona and my closest friends call me GHP. Should people at 18 sign an agreement for their names? No, at least in the U.S., doing that would probably end up costing 50 bucks a signiture.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Lol, back when I was in grade 7 and internet was just catching on, I was in computer class and everyone in the class was in a chatroom. I used the name Notme and everyone was trying to figure out who "Notme" was. The name just kinda stuck all these years.

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

First Letter of First Name, remainder from last

You can also call me Ratcody

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I thought it had to do smthing with that book - clockwork orange lol

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

But I like your pumpkins...

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

check your pm

12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

No, I like your pumpkins exactly as they are!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ANd you can alter your options in the control panel so it logs you in automatically every time you come here.

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Sometimes as a joke people call me Nenar in school. Its only one or two people that do, and its only on really rare occasions that they do so.

However, i've had a problem for a while. Since 5th grade everyone's called me by my last name, or variations on it (some funny, some hurtful) and never my first name! Even teachers call me by my last name! It's frustrating sometimes,i'm surprised when i hear my first name, but i know that when someone calls me Anthony i'm in trouble

Anybody else have this problem of last-nameism?

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Xev is the dominent side of my character. That is, Xev is the part of my personality that acts the way I do, well, here. The other, more feminine, side of my character would be my other nickname.

Xev is my first netname, and all my other netnames (Xevrathrusra the Godless) are variations on it.

I never liked my real name (Margeret) so pretty much all my friends call me either by some variation of my last name, or either of my nicknames.

Like Avatar, I prefer to be called Xev.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have the exact same problem!

I have nothing against my name- it's quite latvian and is good, but I prefer to be called by my net name

-----------------------------
    ---just call me Avatar---
    -----------------------------

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Back in 2001, when we got internet I needed a netname because I was joining a forum in the Netherlands. Somehow Banshee came up in the proces. It is not all that important to me. I give my real name often when I know people better, no problem.

I have no problems with my real name, given to me by my parents. Somehow it fits. Never had the urge to want to change it.

In school, there was one particular teacher who always called me by my last name. That I hated. I did not like the man either. Always he was out to catch me because he thaught I did not pay attention. Well, I did not pay attention much in his class, my friend who sat next to me always knew what he was talking about and informed me quickly. It drove the man utterly crazy and he exploded regularly.

Anyways, I am mostly known by my real name, more than Banshee.

However, on a message board I don't want to see it. There is a difference between the i-net and real life.

If you really have trouble with your real name, then it might be the solution to change it, once you are 18. To sign an agreement in which people do or do not agree with their names doesn't sound right. Some people will come up with the most weird names which they don't want to keep in the end. So then they should change it again, once they have enough of it?

Doesn't sound right. You can always chose to be called by your nick name to friends and everyone you know. Then keep your birth name for official items. It is your decision after all. If you really have problems with it, then you should go through the proper proces and change it legally.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

the problem is friends choose nicknames for me by themselves
    but I'll have to press on that to be called Avatar

btw- when I'll get myself a car, as soon as I get enough money, I'll change my car plate to "Avatar"

among the metalists in Latvia I'm known as Zalktis
    in english that would be "grass snake". Chose that for myself- our ancestors held those snakes in homes as pets, gave them milk and they were sacred animals. Were even worshipped

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Cool! I love snakes (don't care whether they are seen as dangerous or not). There is something about snakes I dearly love. Always did.

I like that name: Grass Snake. It says something about you. It suits with the personality you display here.

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Its always Coffee related. I am always Counsler Coffee. Its my AOL name and my net name, its also my handle on ICQ sometimes. On MSN I have either Schweiss or Counsler Coffee. Depends on who Im talking to. But coffee just describes me so well.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

our ancient simbol of the grass snake

Grass Snake - symbol of wisdom and sage activities (I duno how to translate it different)

General attitude towards a snake ancient latvian shows by indicating them in different colours- white, red and green is the snake that helps people, but the carrier of evil usually is a black snake

as our myths say:

He who would eat meat of a white snake will know the language of birds and animals. Snakes have their king with a golden coronal, it is a grass snake (it's a specie) about whom in our folklore are only panegyrical (is this the right word) remarks.

After every hundred years the king of the snakes appears on the surface of earth. His coronal shines like gold and diamond and it has magical properties. Whoever gets it and boils it and drinks from the concoction the first spoon, he becomes the wisest and the luckyest person on the face of the earth and gets to know everything

The thief of the snake king's coronal just by carying this coronal everywhere with him knows all secrets and can perceive other people's thoughts, knows all languages of men and animals. Such a person who could use the coronal never would die, but would live forever and would be happy and lucky

Zalktis is closly linked to the world of the veli (spirits of the dead). He who ears a red or a white grass snake can see our dead ancestors and understand their language. In our ancient symbols on the old holy stones the sign of the grass snake can be frequently found as a sign of a messenger form the world of the dead (veli)

----------------
    I didn't even know about the last paragraph!

btw- I'm going to tattoo that sign on my shoulder after I get into uni

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  21. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Mine sort of grew out of nowhere, yet it seems appropriate. Lesion, while being a type of wound, is a brief and uncluttered word. It's actual definition has reminiscence of my hobby regarding the research and collection of medieval and ancient weaponry. The 42 came from when I made my hotmail account. Someone else had Lesion (How many could there possibly be though???) and so I added 42 'cause it added ballance.

22. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

People call you by last name (family name, surname) too? I thought it was just me! Its quite common though in my school. Certain last names just have a certain "ring" to them ya know? Just sound better in place of first names i guess.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

nobody asked me though

the problem is that I have studied in 2 different schools and in every class there was another "insert my name".
    So they just kept calling me by my family name.