psychology

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by daphneeee, Nov 24, 2002.

1. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

who have more happy memories of their childhood, younger or older people? Please answer in regard to evidence.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

That was a tricky one. Don't have many happy memories at all. Does anybody else? For the sake of humanity, say that you do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I have many early memories. Not really happy or sad, just memories. I don't really attach happiness or sadness to them. It's more like being an impartial observer.

29 years old.

I have a couple of memories from a few weeks old, more from a few months, then mostly from a few years onward. The very early ones I have confirmed with my parents and such as accurate.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

write if ur young (20+) or old (40+) too

8. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I guess in general people tend to morph memories into happy ones. If so, the older, the merrier the recollections. I must admid, this is purely an educated guess.

My memories of childhood are quite happy when it comes to those concearning my family. Those of my time at school are terrible. I was bullied a lot :-(.
    my age:28 yr.

9. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Oh, and... I am sorry:

Welcome to sciforums, Daphneee

10. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

Thanks Merlijn. By the way, how did u put that cute little icon under your username?

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Daphneeeee

Porirfy (site owner) asked for donations to help keep his server alive, so some of us give over a little money each month. I just started. The people who donate get the little pictures, and possibly certain other services in future.

12. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

Oh...and u chose to put that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Right now I'm fifteen. You can still consider me a kid or an adolescent if you like.

Anyway my memories of being younger, around 4-6 yrs old, were generally happy and full of smiles, just an overall good life with nothing bad to compare it to. Then I moved to Maine.

I lost all my friends, and was unnacustomed to the new social heirarchy of class, of school. I understood virtually nothing, it was like being shot out of a cannon onto an island full of savages from the mainland of established culture. That started when I was six, and although I gradually got used to it, I was never really happy, I was bored, I wasn't challenged (my grades were mediocre, or good at best). What friends I had were okay, but not the sort-of lifelong friends you see every year or so whenever you go down to visit them. Then I went to High School.

My life changed. Here were teachers that taught interesting things, that I not only had a foundation of knowledge with but could also excel in. Since there were now around two hundred classmates (freshmen) rather than the 28 of gradeschool (in my grade) I immediately made new friends that were funny and nice and intelligent, and very cool. This is when I became happy again. Recent memories have their ups and downs, I laugh about some things I did and cringe when I think of others, simply because they seem more recent than mistakes I made as a toddler.

There you have it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Actually what I put in for my avatar and signature is mostly irrelevent. I seem to be the BBS's most prolific poster, and felt it was my duty to assist in keeping the server alive.

15. xandrique moniqueface Registered Senior Member

As the years go by I find myself remembering the negative rather than positive. As a child, even when something bad happened, I could relate to it positively...
    like when I did a kind of sommersault down some concrete stairs when I was running outside to watch the thunderstorm when I was 3 years old. It seemed like an awesome story to tell people when I was that young, and that made it less of a painful experience.

Now, not so much. This makes me realize I should try to focus on the positive rather than making things worse by dwelling on the negative.
    I'm certain I have happy memories now; they just don't come as often.

I'm 17

16. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Most people create false memories as memories fade. Therefore, as you get older you probably have 'happier' childhood memories. However, these are most likely not accurate.

Start writing down and critiquing your early childhood memories. It is a good exercise. See if you can identify false memories and attempt to extract real memories you had forgotten.