cannabis linked to depression/schizophrenia???

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jps, Nov 24, 2002.

1. jps Valued Senior Member

According to this article, researchers have found that cannabis causes schizophrenia and depression. their reasoning however is highly flawed. They claim that because heavy marijuana users are statistically more likely to be schizophrenic or depressed, that it must be the cause of said problems. Given the fact that marijuana is known to cause mild euphoria and generally make people feel more calm, it seems obvious that people with psychiatric disorders that cause deficiencies in these areas would statistically be much more likely to use it.
    By the same reasoning these "researchers" used, prozac, and all other pharmaceutical antidepressants must be a major cause of depression because those who use them are FAR more likely to suffer from depression than those who do not.
    I have to question how people who must be respected researchers could publish anything as ridiculous as this. I wonder if it might have something to do with their funding?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

When I saw the title of the thread, exactly your reasoning came to my mind. I am interested: where is it published/ what is the reference?
    Maybe I can have a look at it at the university.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

oops

sorry, forgot to post the link to the story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2498493.stm

I've since followed up by looking at the actual paper, here, http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7374/1195?ijkey=4U.HVyENo.GCw
    and it actually takes what i said partly into account, claiming that their study showed that those who smoked marijuana more often became depressed but not vice versa. However saying that people who are depressed are not statistically more likely to use cannabis seems to be flying in the face of common sense, so my criticizm still seems valid, although I can't figure out exactly what they did wrong in this study yet. I'd be interested to see what you think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I can't tell anything from that few words.
    Such an article would not get published in other fields of science. There is no substance to it. No method, no data, no clar discussion of what alternatives can be dismissed etc. I get the feeling thsi is not at all a scientific journal. (on the other hand, I have seen other medical journals that also have dubious criteria of when something gets published)

8. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member