Sexual preference and biology

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Adam, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

So, who can tell me if sexual preference is based on biology or not? I'm after facts, not urban myths.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I tried running a search on the gene xq28 but mostly got shite about the bible

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyhoo, there is evidence for and against this and in the end you'll have to make your own mind up.

Whatever the reason, the important thing is equality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

some people are born with extra genes. eg xxy so they are female but have the extra hormones of a male and there are variations xyy xyx . These extra hormones could account for a lot.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, but really I'm only interested in biology in this thread.

8. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I suppose another thing is, as far as research and findings are concerned, most studies are brought about thru anecdotal evidence which is collated and then examined for various elements that match.

Many people say they were gay before they knew what it meant. I just don't buy the fact that a lot of people peering into my pram and saying coochy coo or being dressed in pink, made me attracted to men.

There is an argument for nurture I agree. Why do so many women, (and men) die their hair blonde? We're told it's more attractive.

Many Bible bashers will say
    "It can be overcome thru the power of christ!!!" de blah de blah. But then they say a lot of things and if it was so uncool in the eyes of gods why do we hear every day of another priest who only went into it for the frock?

Maybe we'll have an answer one day. But I for one ask who cares?
    And why?

BY the way xq28 is a gene... that's biology

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Personally I think it's a matter of choice, nothing else.

Anyway, New Scientist did an article a while ago, saying that the old myth that it's based on some part of the brain was false.

I wrote an essay ages ago, ripping some info from that New Scientist article:

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

11. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Plus it was found (quite a while after) that most of these men had died of aids. Aids could have caused this. Also i dont think it was a big study. (i dont think

)

12. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

This statement would seem to preclude the fact that a choice was made at some point.
    Which may go on to suggest a time in your life when that choice was made.
    What were the circumstances?
    Can you recall the deciding factors?
    Have you ever thought you made the wrong decision?
    Just playing devils advocate..
    You know me!!

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I suppose it could be biological in nature, or a choice made. I could see how Nature would prefer homosexuals in trying to curb population problems..sort of. It might be a choice too. I'm not sure. We might never find out really

This didnt help or add anything significant to the discussion, sorry. There are instances of lesbian seagulls i believe, and other "confused" animals out there.

14. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I'm intrigued by your use of the term 'confused'. If a person calls themselves Gay you can be assured that the confusion has passed.
    All that goes before constitutes the confusion, believe me!

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Adam ...

Article re. effect of temperature on fruit fly behavior:

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=1748144

I find this possibly serendipitous 'discovery' interesting in that:

1. Fruit flys have been studied rather extensively;

2. The fruit fly genome has been decrypted;

3. If homosexual fruit fly behavior is shown to be temperature
    dependant and that there is a genetic 'trigger', might the same
    be true for homo sapiens?

4. If true, can homosexuality then be considered a genetic occurrence?

Just the way my mind correlates sometimes disparate information.

Take care

16. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Hot stuff!!
    What did I tell ya?

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Adam:

If you're after facts, why don't you supply some in order to back your argument?

I personally think that sexuality is fluid, and thus there is an element of "choice" when it comes to attraction/orientation. However, given what I know of the role pheremones play in attraction, I'd be very suprised if sexuality had no biological basis.

Scroll down to about mid-article, I think this provides some support for my argument:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97jun/burr2.htm

18. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

What argument? I asked a question. I want someone to give me some biology info.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

question for u adam

if u saw a guy naked would that make u get hard?

because if the answer is no then its not a choice

20. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Asguard

If you saw a pile of raw bloody meat and offal in the blood trench in the meatworks, would you salivate with hunger?

Because if the answer is no, you're a vegan.

Doesn't make much sense, does it?

21. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

If you saw a picture of margaret thatcher and got hard you're in serious trouble

22. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

bbcboy what does this mean!!!!??
    U actually beleive this then?? a bisexual in the sense of the word has sex with men and women. Maybe a woman one weekend and a man the next. a heterosexual only has sex with the opposite sex.maybe different partners too but still the same sex. a homosexual has sex with member os the same sex. (this is self-explanetary right) so how can you say that it is true gay and straight are ok but bi isnt!?? theyre all the same.So some homosexual can have a monogomous relationship and so can straight people.If a bisexual has a monogomous relationship then they cease to be bisexual dont they!!!?? because they are no longer bisexual they are either in a gay or straight relationship. So bisexuality isnt confusion. It is just something that somebody does. Ur saying they are confused!? why does it have to be confusion?? maybe they do like both sexes and enjoy doing what they do!! doesnt mean they are confused.

Would u say that a gay is really confused then??? really screwed in the head!?? because they fancy men.??

23. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Very true adam. a gay man in the pure sense fancies men and not women right!?? (this is the way asguard sees it) so a gay man would look at any woman and not fancy her.even pamela anderson (or whoever). they would not think she is fit and like to oops her. a gay man would never ever fancy a woman. This is not true asguard (IMO). this was a thread about biological make up contributing to sexuality so i wont post my thoughts but a gay man is someone who is homosexual asguard. They have sex with other people of the same sex. Thats all.i do not believe they are born with the pre-wiring to only fancy people of thesame sex and cannot fancy the opposite sex.this seems just stupid to me.