Do we have the right?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by p_ete2001, Nov 11, 2002.

1. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

I was watching termintaor II last night and i got thinking about the bit where sarah connor is strapped to the bed. Well im sure this happens in real life; 'schizo's' are tied up to stop thme hurting themselves. But my question is: does someone have the right to take their own life?? Its their life isnt it? if they dont want it, what right has someone else got to take it away? (their right that is)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

I have a good friend who is a so called "schizo". During his blackouts he becomes extremely irratable and dangerous. However, he does not remember a thing about what he has done or, sometimes, where he has been/is. I do believe that we have the right to secure a person while they go haywire because those who are mentally ill in this way do not realize what they are doing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

If someone gets me mad enough I black out and go berserk. Supposedly I am pretty scary. I presume this is similar to what happened to viking and celtic warriors when they went into battle.

Thankfully it has been years since I last. A guy pulled a knife on me three years ago and I nearly killed him (though I was sliced up pretty bad)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

in america, no.

8. Neville Registered Senior Member

But who says they are mentally ill!? This is just going on the standards of others.Im not talking about people who go into fits but people who are just generally deemed 'crazy'.

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Yes. However, if there is a chance they will hurt someone else...they must be restrained.

10. Neville Registered Senior Member

But it wasnt their choice to have life so why is it their choice to 'give' it away? I am really undecided on this by the way. Im not being obnoxious. Just some thoughts I have.

11. ZelkinX Registered Member

hmmm

i think everyone has the right to change them selves, so yea i would say so.