Pain

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LionHearted, Nov 9, 2002.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

Are there any disciplines that involve developing an increase in pain tolerance?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

i would imagine any martial art worth its salt would include pain tolerence as an important component. mere exercise might increase the threshold of pain.
    most important is one's perceptions. the presence of adrenaline in the body would probably help too

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Tolerance for most things can be acquired by frequent experience. In this case subject yourself to pain frequently, get used to it, and develop an attitude and perspective where it becomes unimportant and normal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sciencegeek Registered Senior Member

San Ye

The traditional temple form of Shao-Lin Kung Fu has a brown belt form called San Ye, which means the Iron Skirt. It basically uses dynamic tension. The point is to tense every muscle possible and be incredibly focused while preforming this series of movements. When it is done properly you can be struck anywhere except the face or groin and be fine. There are even stories and pictures of people preforming San Ye while somebody tries to thrust a spear into his chest. The spear actually bends and there are no signs of any injury.

8. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

no way. That sounds really good. Wish i could do that. Is it true though sciencegeek.

(not too sure about it being called the iron skirt though.

:bugeye: )

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hmmm ...

Suggested first step: Having a root canal performed without Novocain.

Note: Having dentist go along with it may be a problem.

Take care

"We must respect the rights of the dissenters, even though they
    .might be idiots or harmful."
    - Wau Holland - (Died 07/29/01) -

Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  10. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

If you take into account things like acupuncture/acupressure. There are techniques within these disciplines that can block the passage of messages along the nerve pathways that tell the brain 'There is pain'

Breathing techniques have also been high lighted as a means of reducing the level of pain registered.

If all else fails, stear clear of sharp implements and falling over

11. sciencegeek Registered Senior Member

It's true

There were pictures of the monks doing the spear thing at my old dojon. I can do San Ye but I'm not confident enough to try the spear thing.

12. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

yeah sure.

13. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. T. E. Lawrence’s famous quote sums it up best for me, "...the trick is not to mind that it hurts."

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it's totally right.
    In my Taekwon-Do sparings I just don't think about the pain. Somehow forget it.

I've frequently witnessed it.
    Later after one sparing my instructor asked me , how could I still be standing, because I was hit so many times
    but I had somehow forgotten about the pain. I'm not sure even if there was any pain.

but it varies of how your thoughts are arranged before the sparing. Sometimes it hurts, but some you feel nothing.

15. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

i believe i was watching a film on shao lin, and they had to go through a series of 70 or so death traps in a temple, to finally pick up a culdron of boiling oil with thier arms which burned a dragon and a tiger onto one arm and another. then they did the muscle tensing thing, and i saw some crazy old mad get hit in the neck with a rather thick stick of wood, which just cracked like a it was balsa wood. insane! everthing about the film looked painful indeed

16. Frieda Registered Senior Member

pain is weird. i have a nerve right next to the lower part my spine that was damaged a couple of years ago, which can HURT i can tell ya. i have to live with pain every day, which was very hard in the beginning. now i've learned to see this pain as a part of my body, like for example, an arm or a leg. this works for the constant nagging pain, it's just no longer there. it's on "ignore" or something.. don't know how it works.. so weird! when i try to feel it, it's there.. when i see it "as is", then it's gone.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it's stupid. do you find any place you could use that. It's jsut fancy triks which do nothing.

OK- you don't shriek when lift a hot culdron of boiling oil- and for that waste 20 years of your life......

just my thoughts

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

All right, Stoicism!

Take it from Spock, stoicism is the way to go.

Also, isolate yourself. Cut off your friends, run away from home. Thrust all feelings of love and compassion out of your system. Because where there is love, there is pain.

It's strange to increase your pain tolerance level. It's your body's natural way of telling you to haul butt before you're engulfed in flames, or to take that piece of glass out from your leg before you bleed to death.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

they might commit a suicide and even not notice it

20. Frieda Registered Senior Member

guaranteed painless death! wow!

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Everybody's capable of ignoring pain.
    Pavel Bure once finished a hockey game with a fucked up knee.
    Valeri Kharlamov finished a game with a broken ankle. And then played 4 days later on it.
    Mario Lemieux was incapable of bending over far enough to tie up his skates for a half a season after major back surgery.

And these are just famous examples in hockey.

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

Meditate on it. Martial arts thing, you guide yourself to the pain, and then forget it. Hard to explain.

23. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Xev, baby
    did you ever try anal sex?