poop monkey

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by goofy headed punk, Nov 1, 2002.

1. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

why weapons

Is it unethical for us as a species to build weapons to kill other members of our species?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Many creatures kill members of their own species. Happens all the time, naturally.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

We kill with weapons because it's much easier than with our hands and feet....unless your a black belt karate master.

unethical? I don't think so because it's just part of our nature to use tools to help us do something.

But some may argue that we are "above" other animals and that we have responsibilities and our ethics change....animals' don't

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Granted, death and destruction is a natural thing for our species (we are preditors after all) but I suppose i mean, more specificaly, should we as a species devote so much time to killing on another?

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Sure. It makes for some great video games.

9. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Would you dissembowel your family for entertainment? Sarcasm aside, video games don't cost trillions of tax dollars to devlelope and result in real death and destruction.

10. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Reading back over this thread I believe my question would have been better phrased like this. Should we as a species waste so much time developing weapons to kill one another?

11. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Before electronics...modern science (modern weapons) the main factor distinguishing who would win a battle was the skill of the fighters and the amount of them. Today, we don't want war to be part of our everyday life.....there goes the highly trained fighters. We (especially American policy) treasure life to the extreme....there goes the amount of fighters.

To make up this difference we spend lots of money and lots of time, that could be directed towards something of more importance, to make tools that are better than a skilled fighter, so it can replace them.

As war, the struggle for power, and the need to be stronger than your neighbor won't be erased from our instincts....we will always need something to take the place of skilled warriors in battle.

Anyway, there will be a peak in human civilzation (we may have already past it!) and there will be a new beginning...where the population (of the world) will have to start over. The time we spend on weapons is only time that we spend making our future.

EDIT: You may want to change the title of this thread....you might get a few more people to take a look at it.

12. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

I would like very much to change the title of this thread but I can't figure out how to.

13. Zero Banned Banned

lol, it's just plain funny to me. The title, I mean

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

goofy_headed_punk,

" ... should we as a species devote so much time to killing on another?"

I would have to say that considering how quickly the population has been
    increasing, we haven't been spending near enough time killing each other.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

to change the title....just edit your first post and change the subject. "poop monkey" should already be in the subject...just erase it and type something else....I think it'll work.

16. hazy Registered Member

I don't think they should. I think we should use more of our time to improve the quality of life for human beings and also other species on this planet. This world is home to everyone, we shouldn't spend so much time thinking up ways on how to kill and dominate others... your question brings to mind the topic of war. In places such as America, much money and time is spent on developing weapons and other forms of defense. They then want to use it on other human beings outside of America for reasons that benefit the American government. I don't agree with this notion, this money and time could be used in other ways, such as food, shelter, jobs, education, environment... whatever benefits human beings and animals.

Also, I think we should think of ourselves as human beings who are in solidarity with everyone in the world and not separate ourselves by invisible borders and oceans. Maybe if we thought this way, less people would feel the need to kill eachother.

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Re: why weapons

Intersting: It's unethical if the other members of the species aren't building weapons. Ethics can't be applied to "the species".