Crossing over from childhood

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by grazzhoppa, Oct 21, 2002.

1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

When is the point when you consider(ed) yourself not be a child?

This doesn't mean when you think you became an adult, got your first pimple, got laid for the first time...although you may consider one of these the crossing point. I am talking about looking back in your life and deciding the moment or the day or the year you weren't a child anymore.

After some careful thought, mine was when my real imagination stopped. I don't remember any date but I know that when I stopped having complex story-like dreams, and when I tried seeing the world as someone else...my imagination stopped and I wasn't a child. Sure I can use my imagination to create a wonderland but it isn't fun anymore.

edit: I don't know if this should be put in the parapsychology forum or this one.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I don't think there really is a defining point when you consider yourself no longer a child. Everything sort of blends together it seems. There have been plenty of times in my 24 years of living that I thought I had matured but when something else happens I realize that I wasn't as mature as I thought. If I had to pick a time tho, I would have to say when you gain your independence is when you are no longer a child. "Child" implies being an offspring of someone older and presumably wiser. When you are thrust out into the world is when you really find out who you are.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

that is the most serious question and also answer- if you think more psyhologically into it
    WHO AM I--define I----define MYSELF
    that is very delicate and very hard and I don't think much people during our history have done that. Maybe Buddha.

that is the ultimate question and the most rewarding answer a human can get - who am I
    no

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

it's not so simple- people grow up and die not knowing that - I I I I I I I I
    look at myself at microscope- I?
    do a scan of my brain- I?
    go to a therapeit - I?
    meditate - I?
    die - I?

no- childhood is gone not when you realise who you are

I think that you stopped being a child the moment you proved a grown up to be wrong

but the question who am I still remains

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

By "who you are" I mean the experiences you face because experience does mold you to an extent. Of course the question of "who am I" the way you describe it is no easy task to uncover. By being thrust out into the world you learn responsilbilty and you learn what you can and cannot do. And that is part of finding out who you are. Not on the grander scale of things, but it is a start.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

don't think so- we learn what others are and want from us - not what we are , but what society demandss for us - it's a huge difference

9. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

But don't the demands of society mold you even a little bit? In the extreme case, if you give into society's demands then you are conforming. Therefore you are a conformist.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

conformist=adult?

demands of society is not you- it's just what some bastards want you to do

If I went into extreme, I'd call it slavery to society

partially j/king

11. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

I dont think one can tell. One day when something hits you that changes how you look one the world, then one thinks one is not a child but then the same thing happens over and over till you not sure and it all becomes a blur. Some pepole never leave childhood.

12. Shai Registered Member

I could agree with the last post. It's hard to pinpoint the exact moment, or even a year, when you started considering yourself as an adult. I've always considered myself mature, almost as far as I can remember. Yet I'm not really afraid of being chidlish on occasion, not even now, when I am officially an adult. I often find myself looking back and realizing that I've really just grown up. I do have a certain date in my mind. But it's really a moment when I knew what I wanted from life. The thing is however that I can easily remember the times when I considered myself no longer a child but now looking back I admit I was.

13. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

perfect answer, Shai

14. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

I don't believe that anyone can exactly pinpoint the moment at which they stopped being a child. Probably because, even when one is considered an adult by they're peer group, a person can still do some extremely childish things. (For examples search around in the free thoughts forum.) Which then throws doubt on the child/adult status. Of course, this is only my opinion.