Med's for deadly virius- hindrence or help?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Lady, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Lady Banned Banned

Would you kill another to save yourself? This question was asked when speaking of a deadly mutating virius, specifially Aids, by a poster named Boneanon(origin of aids). I find this question to be relevant and deep. This also causes me to question the obligation scientist owe to society. First off, is it morally wrong for scientist to stop developing meds to slow down the death rate of a infected individual, for the sake of the uninfected? Please state your opinion on the following questions.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

1) Learn how to use apostrophes.

2) Why would scientists abandon work on anti-virals for the sake of the uninfected? I don't get it.

3) I'm a utilitarian. In an ideal world, the problems whose solutions would give the biggest benefit to the largest group of people would be first priority.

- Warren

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lady Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

You sound silly.

Some people with AIDS might 'spread the virus' by having unprotected sex with other uninfected people. This is what I assume you are referring to.

If that is what you mean, that is not a good argument to halt research for prolonging infected people's lives, or even finding a cure. Letting all of the currently infected people die to rid the world of AIDS ain't gonna work.

Was this on the poster you saw? It sounds like an abortion question.

Anyway, I think the only people today who would get AIDS would be those who either (A) have unprotected sex, or (B) are drug addicts who share needles. Either way, these people are taking risks. Still, I think they should be afforded the opportunities to live and enjoy life as much as possible.

8. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

9. Lady Banned Banned

Vakemp,

If that is what you mean, that is not a good argument to halt research for prolonging infected people's lives, or even finding a cure. Letting all of the currently infected people die to rid the world of AIDS ain't gonna work.

** Perhaps scientist should focus more on actually finding the cure rather than prolonging the life of the infected.

10. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

You don't understand medicine. All of the existing life-prolonging drugs were actually invented in the course of trying to find a cure.

- Warren

11. Lady Banned Banned

chroot,

If one has AIDS, and is on life-prolonging medication, I think it's likely that one's not out spreading the virus. I wouldn't think many AIDS patients would be out purposefully exposing their loved ones to a virus they know will slowly kill them.

** If only everyone was this moral, for example, I have a friend with aids and his philosphy is, someone gave it to me, therefore I'm going to give it to others.

Those who are unaware that they are infected, yet are already contagious, are the ones to be worried about.

** Perhaps the government should require mandatory Free testing every 3 months, and the results posted on a world wide data base with the indivduals photo as well.(Good bye privacy)

12. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

This is the exception, not the rule. I personally feel that your "friend" should be shot in the head for having such an attitude.
    Good luck.

- Warren

13. Lady Banned Banned

Chroot,

B]You don't understand medicine. All of the existing life-prolonging drugs were actually invented in the course of trying to find a cure.

** I believe Aids was first discovered in the 60's and in 40 some yr's science has failed miserably and the disease has spread rapidly, due to the life-prolonging drugs.

** If scientist must prolong the life of Aids infected people for studies they must also consider the rest of society.

14. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

due to the life-prolonging drugs?!?! i.e., you believe that, had those drugs not have been invented, AIDS would be less widespread now? Do you realize that in Africa, the continent most besieged with the virus, virtually no one has ever received any anti-viral treatments? You're an idiot!
    Those scientists are trying to help people -- infected and non-infected alike. Perhaps people like your "friend" should bear the burden of the impact of individual actions on society.

- Warren

15. Lady Banned Banned

chroot,

due to the life-prolonging drugs[/i]?!?! i.e., you believe that, had those drugs not have been invented, AIDS would be less widespread now? Do you realize that in Africa, the continent most besieged with the virus, virtually no one has ever received any anti-viral treatments? You're an idiot!

** How has the life- prolonging drugs helped the war on Aids?

** Africa's aids epidemic has nothing to do with not having life-prolonging drugs, but rather lack of education,resources, and inhuman living conditions.

Those scientists are trying to help people -- infected and non-infected alike. Perhaps people like your "friend" should bear the burden of the impact of individual actions on society.

** If scientist really had the best interest of the non- infected and infected in mind the disease would be elimanted at all cost.(Greater means)

** Prolonging the life of the host is also allowing the disease to mutate, which in turn makes it harder to find a cure.

** My friend doesn't care about bearing anything just spreading the disease. And I could honestly say he has been doing just that. Sometimes I want to call the health department on him.(what good would that do?)

16. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

As I've said, many of those drugs were discovered while researching cures. Can't you read?
    You said rather specifically that you believe life-prolonging drugs are the cause of the predominance of the HIV virus.
    You think the scientists aren't trying hard enough? You think they could eliminate the disease, but choose not to? What?
    Only if that person goes out and purposefully spreads the virus to others. As I've said, I don't think anyone condones such behavior.
    Your friend is knowingly, purposefully causing others to contract a virus that will kill them. He is committing homocide. If you call the police, he will be arrested. If they find sufficient evidence, he will be tried, convicted, and incarcerated.

- Warren

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

In addition, if you know your friend is out purposely spreading the disease and you say nothing to the authorities, you may also be charged and convicted for withholding evidence.

18. Lady Banned Banned

]As I've said, many of those drugs were discovered while researching cures. Can't you read?

** So basically while searching for the cure all scientist have managed to do is create a pill that allows longer life- expectancy and more time for the virius to mutate. What has the anti-virial drugs did to fight the war on Aids? NOTHING.

You said rather specifically that you believe life-prolonging drugs are the cause of the predominance of the HIV virus.

** In America

You think the scientists aren't trying hard enough? You think they could eliminate the disease, but choose not to? What?

** I don't.......at times I think Aids was created by the government.

Your friend is knowingly, purposefully causing others to contract a virus that will kill them. He is committing homocide. If you call the police, he will be arrested. If they find sufficient evidence, he will be tried, convicted, and incarcerated.

** incarcerated for how long? (he-he)

19. Lady Banned Banned

I don't have no video camera's in his bedroom all I have is my word against his, futhermore, that would be so hypocritical when are government knowingly allows infected hookers back on the street.(Intent to spread)

20. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Ok, I'm done with this conversation. Chuck it into the loony bin. I figured you already had your own conspiracy theories fully assembled.

- Warren

21. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Lady

In general, I would hope not.

I think medical researchers have a duty to produce both a cure for the disease and, failing that, something which can make those with it more comfortable. Also, those with the disease have a duty to make sure they don't pass it on. There are two problems with this. First, companies funding research would rather treat a disease than cure it, as this provides continued profit. Second, the disease is unfortunately very common among groups who are more likely to ignore their duty to limit its spread, the "high-risk groups". Unless there has been some change in trends in the last few years I am unaware of, those high-risk groups remain the sexually promiscuous and hard drug users and such.

22. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

I was going to put a different reply, but I think Adam pretty much summed it up.

As for people who have AIDS and knowingly spread it, they are criminals. I remember hearing something about this in the news before. It has been a while, though. But rest assured, the people with AIDS that knowingly spread it will live long enough, thanks to new life prolonging drugs, to regret it.

23. Lady Banned Banned

** However the government allows the mass marketing of ciggaretts which have no postive benefits, and does kills millions yearly. So don't be so fast to dismiss anything.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!