World Of Fear

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Oct 11, 2002.

1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

The world is run by fear.

Do you think there will be a time when there aren't superpowers or 3rd world countries? And there won't be a country feared by another?

I'm not asking if the world will live in complete peace...only if there will be equality of nations, without one government for the world, where technology is shared throughout the world.

Sounds like an idea for Hollywood.....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What you are talking about is the Apocolypse

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

You don't think there will be a world full of Switzerlands?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

I sure hope so, I really like mountains and chocolate.

- Warren

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

And knives??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Ooooo and those watches that are reputably excellent, but really kinda cheesy.

- Warren

10. le coq Registered Senior Member

Tying in with another post on IQ and "emotional intelligence," as long as we have people like George II usurping power, we will have nations who will resort to brute force and tribalism as a means of policy. From my local weekly, someone wrote:

While I would argue that Bush isn't making all the big policy decisions (or any decisions) to charge off to war without his handlers, he sets the tone for the civilized world. He's consistently appealed to motives of revenge and dismissal of long-term policy review to understand the world situation today. You're either with us or against us. Iraq has weapons and they pose a threat. We attack them and all will be better. Never mind about Afghani-whatchicallit. That's old news. Never mind the vague line of reasoning for this. Our leaders (few that have experienced combat or act is if they remembered the mess that was Vietnam) have monumentally lined up to weaken the constitution and send our kids off to death and misery, and most likely worsen the conditions in the middle east, providing fertile ground for future armies of Anti-American terrorists.

The problem, I believe, stems from what Edward O. Wilson wrote about in The Future of Life, that humans have a lot of paleolithic circuitry embedded in our brains and social fabric that hinders long-term, abstract thinking, visualizing that which is not actually being physically seen at the moment. We're more interested in, and it has proven beneficial for brute survival, the events in our immediate locale, rather than what's going on with some other people far away. Most of the great policy blunders that have crippled modern life (War on Drugs, Healthcare, Cold War, the IRS, the bloated military) have come as a result of reaction to immediate effects,mediated by a fear of loss of centralized power and White Christian values. These all can be spun to have been long-term planning entities, but their faits accompli are perpetual worldwide misery, increased national debt, a cynical society, which can be observed in our immediate reality.

So... who knows? Perhaps more catastrophe is at hand. The worst things to have happened to the United States, it has been said, are the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. We are disconnected from the rest of the world, and so we often fail to understand world events as they effect the rest of the world. While the rest of the world has undergone perpetual, immediate and violent turmoil, the United States has existed in relative stability. We may have to burn ourselves a few more times in the fire before we learn.

Le Coq

11. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

le coq,

Excellent post.

- Warren

12. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I figure when we get scaleable machines that can manufacture all the things a human needs (and be cheap enough for most people) countries will be obsolete. We would then collapse into micronations composed of only a few families.

If that dosn't happen soon enough the corperations will replace countries. "Welcome. You have entered the nation of Microsoft."

13. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: World Of Fear

Tying in with another post on IQ and "emotional intelligence," as long as we have people like George II usurping power, we will have nations who will resort to brute force and tribalism as a means of policy.

Stop right there. Are we resorting for brute force or just utilizing our human instincts to stand for survival? But really, what are ethics and morals? Who thought of them? Why? So they can manipulate people, obviously. Like religion. Like anything. I'm a conservative that seperates business from pleasure, and business from most anything else. I dont pretend to care for people. I dont. I'm a human being, I only care for my survival, the survival of my kin, and basic needs. And as an American, many materialistic needs.

While I would argue that Bush isn't making all the big policy decisions (or any decisions) to charge off to war without his handlers, he sets the tone for the civilized world. He's consistently appealed to motives of revenge and dismissal of long-term policy review to understand the world situation today. You're either with us or against us. Iraq has weapons and they pose a threat. We attack them and all will be better. Never mind about Afghani-whatchicallit. That's old news. Never mind the vague line of reasoning for this. Our leaders (few that have experienced combat or act is if they remembered the mess that was Vietnam) have monumentally lined up to weaken the constitution and send our kids off to death and misery, and most likely worsen the conditions in the middle east, providing fertile ground for future armies of Anti-American terrorists.

I totally agree with the war, it is imperative. George is he best president we've had in a long time, because hes black and white on issues. He's about progressing the free world. Revenge is an important human emotion, though low on depth, it will save us from further conflict. And this is a different scenario then Vietnam. We are actually at risk here but not doing anything, at Vietnam we weren't. Iraq poses weapons of mass destruction. Iraq is a desert, Vietnam was jungle. This is going to be a small force, vietnam was quite large.

As you see, they are totally different scenarios. To compare them as alike shame the name of basic freedoms.

The problem, I believe, stems from what Edward O. Wilson wrote about in The Future of Life, that humans have a lot of paleolithic circuitry embedded in our brains and social fabric that hinders long-term, abstract thinking, visualizing that which is not actually being physically seen at the moment. We're more interested in, and it has proven beneficial for brute survival, the events in our immediate locale, rather than what's going on with some other people far away. Most of the great policy blunders that have crippled modern life (War on Drugs, Healthcare, Cold War, the IRS, the bloated military) have come as a result of reaction to immediate effects,mediated by a fear of loss of centralized power and White Christian values. These all can be spun to have been long-term planning entities, but their faits accompli are perpetual worldwide misery, increased national debt, a cynical society, which can be observed in our immediate reality.

They've come as a result of people with hidden agendas, that keep the bottom on the bottom to profit.

So... who knows? Perhaps more catastrophe is at hand. The worst things to have happened to the United States, it has been said, are the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. We are disconnected from the rest of the world, and so we often fail to understand world events as they effect the rest of the world. While the rest of the world has undergone perpetual, immediate and violent turmoil, the United States has existed in relative stability. We may have to burn ourselves a few more times in the fire before we learn.

No. I say we just cool down the fire for everyone else.

Nuff Said,

--Unregistered

14. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Have we not seperated ourselves from the "beasts" yet?

The focus of this post slipped towards current events which is what le coq was talking about when he said:
    The problem, I believe, stems from what Edward O. Wilson wrote about in The Future of Life, that humans have a lot of paleolithic circuitry embedded in our brains and social fabric that hinders long-term, abstract thinking, visualizing that which is not actually being physically seen at the moment. We're more interested in, and it has proven beneficial for brute survival, the events in our immediate locale, rather than what's going on with some other people far away.

Now, I don't want to start another Bush bashing thread but one day will the leaders of the world's nations get together?

It's definately not in the near future...it's even hard to imagine if you concentrate on current events. No type of current government (that I know of) could work because there will be at least one person who doesn't like it and starts a resistance, which leads to war....that's not what we want.

Instead of fear holding the world in place, why not technology?

Sorry if you don't follow, but my thoughts jump everywhich way.

15. John MacNeil Registered Senior Member

Eventually the world society will be straightened out and peace will reign. I'm sure that will happen in our lifetime. The way of war is about at it's apex, historically, and it will have to be replaced soon. The countries who have power are going to have to share that power and insure that all people on the planet have a decent living, since the impoverishment of some people for the inordinate wealth benefit of others is not a sustainable policy on a small world that is increasingly interconnected socially.

The worst offenders of peace, the U.S. corporate/government and their lackeys, are finding out that they cannot pursue their selfish agenda in the twenty-first century by using early twentieth century tactics. Their bloated military/industrial power base is not well suited to a world society in which national communities interact on a constant basis. The flow of information between continental communities makes it increasingly difficult for the warmongering nations to hide their atrocities and it stifles their actions by them having the fear of being found out and then being subjected to unfavorable public opinion.

The U.S. corporate/government is already in decline, as is evidenced by the stock market, the lowered GNP and the severe drought, which has drastically affected U.S. agriculture. More and more national government voices are increasingly critical of U.S. foreign policy, and that may be the clearest bellwether indicative of the hearlding in of the age of peace.

16. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Thomason's Theory of the Composition of the Universe: 99.9% of everything is stupid.

There aren't even 99 posts to this thread.

Chances are, we're all Bozos on this bus.

Yeah, that means you, too.

QED

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am an animal. One who can think and plan further than my next meal yes, but still an animal. Whatever promotes the survival or myself, my genes, and my ideals is good. Whatever does not is bad. Survival is the key.

And you are just like me even if you dont admit it.

18. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

What is the curren t price of a three-dee printer, by the way?

19. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

and actual cheese!!