We could be doing so much as a species...

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by VAKEMP, Oct 2, 2002.

1. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

Just think of how advanced our civilization could be if we didn't spend so much time fighting each other. All of the time we spend creating weapons and bickering over land and religion could be used to create a better quality of life for us all.
    What do you think we would've accomplished as a species if we worked together rather than fight all of the time?

A better space program?

Better energy sources?

Less pollution?

Cures for diseases?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Actually, sorry to do this but....

One of mankinds greatest leaps in technology was in fact in the Second World War. We developed rockets, harnessed the power of the atom and many other things I cannot think of just yet (its getting pretty late :bugeye: )

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VAKEMP Registered Senior Member

You are right.

Those technological leaps could've been made elsewhere in history though...in a different way.

My questions are purely hypothetical. If we didn't spend so much time and money on defending ourselves from each other, would our species be more prosperous?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think that with the US anyway, the huge amount of money we throw at our military could be spent better on education. But ironically competition and mass genocide do spur technological and cultural growth. The same technologies and ideas would have been invented but at a much slower pace.

But as humans it is natural to conflict with one another, even though for the most part it is unethical it is necessary as a species to not simply conform. That quality alone makes us humans rather than insects.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well, there'd be more of us here.

But wouldn't it be better if these advances happened sooner, rather than later?

If the Germans didn't develope the rockets in the 1940's, we may have only just put the first man in space last year.

Plus the Atom bomb was the first steps towards Nuclear Fussion, which should help mankind prosper.

But if all the worlds nations united and put together a crack team of eggheads (no offense to all the eggheads here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) we could probably speed our advances tenfold. But we would still need to develop weaponry, just in case.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

heheh

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I missed the joke, tell me, come dude. Please

11. prozak Banned Banned

Or just greater self-discipline, better values, a more intelligent set of goals

Technology's ok.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Oh...it wasn't a joke? Sorry....

But I thought you were referring to how we always had to build weapons even if we were embarking upon a scientific revolution....but if it wasn't a joke....ahhh sorry man

13. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Violence spurs news tools to destroy, but since we are semi-civilized, we transform those tools of destruction into something that we could benifit from.

Check this thread out. Interesting.Mankinds Lust For War

If we could "all just get along" we would've surpassed where we are technology wise, because of the sharing of information is the greatest tool for discovery. War technology looks for the cheapest, most efficient way to do something, not necessarily the best for other applications of it. All the time to convert the technology for use with most of the world takes resources and money. If the first rocket was built for peace, it might have been a better start than a rocket built from war.

14. prozak Banned Banned

"War technology looks for the cheapest, most efficient way to do something, not necessarily the best for other applications of it."

Yet this method is closest to that of evolution.

15. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I don't see the connection of evolution and doing so much as a species. Can you elaborate?

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Pollux, it wasn't a joke, look in Mankind Lust for War to find out why.

Anywho, I started a thread a teeny bit different to this one. It was about how far more advanced we'd be today if religion had been more linient on science. I predicted at least 25 years more advanced