Truth and boundaries

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by m0rl0ck, Sep 29, 2002.

1. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Nothing is true outside of its context.
    You cannot for instance apply a subjective psychological truth to an empirical problem.
    There are internal and external truths, example: the first datum that conciousness provides is the thought or feeling, the external corallary of that might be the firing of a neuron or series of neurons. The attempt to reduce one of these to the other doesnt do justice to either. Dismissing conciousness to the mere firing of neurons excludes a universe of human experience and treating the bio-chemical computer model of the human brain as only an idea would exclude it from being used to any medical advantage.

There are also cultural and social truths and collective and individual spheres of both the interior and exterior modes.

Heres a diagram:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The problem with some of the discussions here is that they start out to prove a proposition from one quadrant of the diagram above from a different quadrant entirely.For instance trying to prove non-supernatual intellegent design with physics is bound to failure. Non-supernatural intellegent design implies intention or motive force, both of which involve conciousness. Trying to prove conciousness from an empirical starting point wont work. Its like trying to deduce the favorite color of designer of the eifel tower by looking at a picture of the structure.

The above diagram was adapted from one in Ken Wilbers "Eye of Spirit"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

I believe what your describing is called N.O.N (non overlapping nomenclature).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AdrienVeidt Registered Member

Right...right...right. That's all good, and well.

Did you have a question?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I get what you mean.

Actually I see similar things happen to mathmaticiens when they try to apply their specialty field of math to another field. They start off working ok but the further they get into a set of equations the more inconpatibilities they would find.

8. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

But morlock.
    my understanding of empiricism is that it is faith in the senses. Not just logic but the beleif that u can learn things by experiencing things in the real world. The beleif that u should believe ur eyes and ears etc. So this is subjective psychology!!

Go away and come back when uve thought for a little bit longer.

p.s. my point is that a subjective psychological truth can be applied to an empirical problem.