New iMacs

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by DaveW, Oct 6, 1999.

1. DaveW Registered Senior Member

<CENTER>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

</CENTER>

I'm not sure if anyone here is a Mac user. I am, so I spent the morning watching Apple unveil the next-gen iMacs. Very nice computers indeed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blacktubby Registered Senior Member

Ahh yes, I'm a longtime fan of macintosh. (I have a II ci.) Right now I'm using a G3 400mhz. Not a bad comuter, if i do say so myself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. H-kon Registered Senior Member

I like the hardware the Mac's use. I just don't like the Operating system ( 8.1) My dad currently has the first revision iMAC 233Mhz, though it's kinda fast for being a 233 processor with only 32 MB RAM on a 66Mhz Bus, the Operating system ( MacOS) is terrible. No pre-emtive multitasking, the memory management is horrible, and MacOS istelf is a memory hog.

I am not too happy about any Windows 9.x version either, but it's a little better that you don't have to assign each application memory, and it's a little easier to switch between the different applications. The great thing is that i don't use any of them

When the day comes that i can use BeOS on a G3/G4 Mac, i might consider getting one since the hardware is very nice. Until then I am sticking with BeOS as my primary Operating system on my AMD K6-2 350, overclocked to 420 Mhz soon to be an Athlon 500/550Mhz overclocked to 650Mhz

BeOS boots in 15 seconds, i can run 8 movies at the same time without lag, i can copy/format 2 disks at the same time while writing an E-mail, playing an MP3 file and run Seti@Home without any noticable problems. For those that do not know about it, check out www.be.com

Oh DaveW - As soon as i can get my hands on some Demo disks, i'll be sending you one

The great thing about the new iMAC's is that it is a little cheaper than the original, but i'd opt for one of the larger models with DVD and such. But atleast they redesigned the casing so that it's easier to add more RAM and such..

Now. Steve Jobs - Bring back the clones so that i can build my own Mac. I love building my own computers

H

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveW Registered Senior Member

I believe Apple introduced several memory-related multitasking fixes in 8.5. I'm not if anything was added in OS 9, which was just announced. Apple is holding off on the preemptive multitasking untill OS X, which ought to be out in early 2000. You can also bet on a kicked up UI for OS X.

8. H-kon Registered Senior Member

I hope that MacOS X might be the ticket for many PC-users around the world.

I have read some post about the BETA many Mac users have in their hands now on different BBS's, and it's pretty slow if you look at what MacOS X really can do. It might be the BETA that does it, but while keeping the legacy in making modules so you can run native MacOS applications, *before X* i feel that they are dragging it down with lots of legacy code. ( Blue box, yellow box)
    I actually hope that they don't include much of the old stuff, that way we might see BeOS back on the Mac again, with healthy competition from MacOS

Right now. There is only 2 choices on the Mac. Linux, or MacOS. Would love to see BeOS again there too

9. Rogue Registered Member

Hail the Mac!!! Hell, we still have our old IIc sitting in the closet. I run on a G3, and just got an iBook... cute little guy. My boss and I got to go to the MacWorld Expo in NYC this summer when they unveiled the iBook. You could feel the love. So many die-hard Mac users. I love to see more people joining the revolution. So many times I still have to whip some PC guy's ass for trashing the Mac. What's their deal? I personally hate windows, but don't go around trashing PCs all the time. What's more is that most people who bash the Mac haven't ever used one. What the hell? Proof that fear breeds hate. Rock on Mac users!!!!

10. H-kon Registered Senior Member

The macs are good little machines. But there are some problems that keeps me from getting one.

#1 - Much too expensive for what it's really worth
    #2 - MacOS is slow, buggy, and very ..old (soon to be fixed)
    #3 - The hardware ain't that great anymore really. No decent videocards available as standard. The G4 processor is lagging behind the Athlon at the moement.
    #4 - No clones.. If i want a computer, i'll build one myself
    #5 I just don't like Jobs ( or Gates)

Just my personal opinion..

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I had the same machine, but one day the transparent case lit up with sparks and it died.

12. Mitochondria Registered Member

Grave digger

I used to have a Mac, it wasn't pretty old but I could play games on it so I got a high end PC (Which I built myself).