can the blind see?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by beth, Sep 18, 2002.

1. beth Registered Senior Member

1. Can someone blind from birth still have mental pictures and photographic memory? By using their imagination can they conjure up an "image"

2. How would you describe color to a blind person?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

I don't think they could ever "see" an image as a nonblind person would - how do you picture something you have no experience of. It is like the trick question - Do you dream in color or black-and-white. We see in color, the only experience we have with black-and-white comes from looking at photos and old movies, so if you have never seen an old photo or movie, could you then imagine a world in black and white? I don't think so anyway.

If I were to try to describe colors to a blind person, I'd probably do it with music - play something fast paced for red, something soothing for light blue, etc. Just an idea anyway.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

They might have a 3d image in their head that is instantly recorded. It wouldnt really be "photographic" though.

If they had sight at some time in their life it would be different though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

This is making me think too much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

What's the point? It's not like they'll ever see it, and if they've been blind from birth, it won't matter because they have no references. Everything is dark to them...actually, they won't even know what dark is!

How sad..

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Why so? Sad? I know blind people who are perfectly happy. Not knowing what they are missing doesn't make them worry about it that much either. I guess it is just the same as with people who do see colours. It is the way you look at your life, may it be in colour, black and white or maybe not even in images. Though I do think blind people have a certain kind of images, not in the way seeing people do, a way though.

They can describe perfectly well what they mean and understand very well what is described to them. Other senses are much better developed, as in feeling, hearing, smelling and so on. Especially by the blind people. There is certainly something to say for that.

Photographic memory is just a word. It is the memory which does the work, not the photography. An expression made up by a seeing person. How heartless again.

It seems to me that it is a lot more difficult for people who become blind during their lifetime and who actually know what they are missing.

Anyways, how's it about people who are colour blind? Don't they look at colours differently too?

Isn't it so that nobody sees the colours exactly as someone else sees them? Just the general part is in common. You think you see the colour blue, for example, the exact same way as I do?

Why make life more complicated by pitying the blind? They don't pity themselves (mostly).

Colours described as a feeling or music may be working for a blind person. Then they have their own personal feeling with a sound, a feeling.

They like you for who you are, always, or not of course, if you have a nasty character. So, be warned...

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

[nitpick]

Testing has shown that when vision is impaired, the other senses do not become stronger, but blind people do learn to focus greater attention on the information these remaining senses provide about their surroundings.

Almost the same thing.

[/nitpick]

Peace.

• -- King Boudewijn I, King of Belgium (1934-1993)

11. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

A focus mind and your eyes dont matter if you have never had then in the first place, this i know as i have a friend who has never looked upon a sun rise or sunset and yet he knows martial art.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

13. beth Registered Senior Member

Commenting on the question "do all people se color the same way?"

I would say yes because when it comes down to the science of it color is reflected light that changes "form" from bouncing off certain surfaces. The exceptions to this rule I think would be if you have a certain eye defect that made light come into your eye differently or you were looking at something from a different angle. the shade would change.

Excuse my lack of the proper terminology. Somebody help me out.

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I am shade blind. If I look at a box of 32 crayons I can only see about 24 colors.

15. Tong Tied Registered Member

I read a book on near death experience a while ago, one subject had always been blind yet the NDE enabled her to experience sight for the first time. She was quite upset (once back in her body) to be blind once more.....sorry I can't recall the title of the book but apparently the writer has quite a name in that field (Moody?? I think)

16. kmguru Staff Member

All the sensory input is electrical signals and threshold firing of those signals anyway. When it reaches the processing center of the brain, it has to short it out. A blind person does not lose his/her brain or the data processing system, just the sensor array. Replave that sensor array, a blind person can see fine. But the brain may not know what to do with that signal. It is like having orgasm for the first time - a new sensation for humans....