Thieving and lying in the workplace..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ULTRA, Jun 28, 2011.

?

If one of the staff is stealing would you..(Secret poll)

1. Report it

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Ignore it

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Warn them

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ask for a cut

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Most of us have lied to the boss at some time or other..
    I got stuck in traffic,
    I got sick,
    I e-mailed it to you,
    It was a working lunch,

I must have heard them all. I used a few as well. But as we're effectively stealing (time is money after all), is this a moral malaise that we need to stamp out to become stronger, wealthier firms that benefits everybody?

How much does this petty pilfering affect the ecomomy overall, and can they be really classed as misdemeanours compared to the big corperate crooks that steal pension funds and exploit tax-loopholes?
    In these tight economic times, do we have a responsibility to fire the guy who liberates the odd carton of beans from a truck to feed his kids with, and where does it stop? Is this tha same as shoplifting?

I'd be interested to know what you think

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

If a saw them do it I would tell them they are stealing . I probably would not report them . My opinion of them will go down and the trust factor will be broken . That all is dependent on who they are stealing from . I know it should not matter who it is they steal from . but if they were stealing from my local community I would turn them in if they don't come clean . If they are stealing from Georgia Pacific I would think the dirty bastards got what they deserve. Sorry for my bias . Georgia Pacific policy is to screw the Contractor so fuck em . I would not steal from Georgia Pacific or any other supplier but I just might turn a blind eye to someone that did. Mainly cause Georgia Pacific Fuck Me and My community . Fuck em take all there shit and I won't say a god Damn thing . Revenge is mine , Fuckers ( Georgia Pacific fuckers that is and If the Vice President Girl from Georgia Pacific is Reading this I am asking you If you remember Me . I had your phone number . I probably still have it in my planner. We talked several times until you ducked my calls and got Corporate U.B.C. in the middle between us . Was not Following the proper chain of command Aye . Well Fuck you

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

awesome and beautiful
    all hail mekigal

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

I sacked a man, a good man once for stealing diesel. He was getting well paid, but maybe had problems, I don't know. Anyway, if he'asked me for it I'd have given it to him, it was only about 5 gallons. But he didn't realise I was in charge of the site as I used to muck in with the lads rather than sit in my office, and he blatantly winked at me and said "don't say anything, will you mate.."
    I rung up my boss and told him and he said, "well you know what you have to do. Get on with it."
    So I did. I still feel kinda bad about it, but missing diesel had been an issue, and I suppose an example had to be made. Not much fun for anybody though, I liked the guy.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Most companies that I worked have been generous and offered something more than just a check. All in all, there is very little I would want from a company beyond my work and my pay. I suppose that ULTRA has a point in that we might unintentionally pilfer when we are not fully attentive to our work.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I would report the infraction.

We are well treated at my workplace. Complimentary coffee and tea, frequent offerings of food to the lunchroom, requested time off almost always accommodated, and a decent wage and pay scale.

There is some time theft by a few who could also display a bit more work ethic, yet generally we are a self-regulating bunch. Theft of product is a breach of trust and I don't want to work with people that can't be trusted. We are aware from the product count that someone is pinching one type of the sports beverages and by the pattern we suspect 'in house', and not one of our regulars from the street.

We'll catch them before long and there will be a help wanted sign go up almost instantly. No second chances for theft.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

My company is so cheep they took the newspapers out of the staffrooms after making record profits, fuck em

11. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

If I don't report I can get nailed for it.
    If it's them or me, when I have done nothing wrong?
    Gonna be them.

12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

How does making strong and wealthy firms stronger and wealthier benefit everybody?
    Dishonesty is something well worth stamping out, but if that is considered "stealing time" from someone, then we should apply that to any lie that causes us to waste part of our lives - including those lies that bosses tell, or partners.
    It's also worth stamping out greedy corporations first and encouraging flexible working. Respect works both ways.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Borrowing is not much better than begging; just as lending with interest is not much better than stealing.

Doris Lessing

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty; power is ever stealing from the many to the few.

Wendell Phillips

I don't want to remember 2005 as a year that the government heaped unnecessary burdens upon American families. Stealing from the poor and middle class and giving to the rich, while increasing the deficit, is hardly responsible.

Marty Meehan

In West Virginia yesterday, a man was arrested for stealing several blow-up dolls. Reportedly, police didn't have any trouble catching the man because he was completely out of breath.

Stealing things is a glorious occupations, particularly in the art world.

Malcolm Mclaren

I would like to make a toast to lying, stealing, cheating and drinking. If you're going to lie, lie for a friend. If you're going to steal, steal a heart. If your going to cheat, cheat death. And if you're going to drink, drink with me.

It is not the thief who is hanged, but one who was caught stealing.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Calling in sick when you are not sick is not stealing. It's an unspoken rule that this is allowed, as long as the boss has plausible deniability. It also increases productivity by increasing morale. Everyone needs a day off now and then. I happen to work for the biggest, most profitable corporation in my state.

15. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Wealthier firms can ride out uphevals in the market better. There is a dollar benefit to the economy by having them be successful as well as the terms and conditions the employees can get for themselves. If it goes bust, there is no work, no pay, no business tax and no benefits being paid out. A stronger business pays into the economy and everybody benefits from schools, hospitals, roads and everything else that taxes pay. Each worker also contributes through income tax and no longer has to be paid dole money out of public funds.
    With more money going into the economy and less waste, I think just about everyone benefits somehow.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I've never phoned in sick without feeling at least a bit sick.
    Then I'd run round the room shouting yeehoo, like some crazed American, once I'd gone through the ordeal of phoning in.

I'd always report a thief unless it was a personal friend.

17. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Whose that Fred Myer ? Just Joking Spidey . I went to school with one of the Ralley Kids . I thought it funny when he went to work for Ralley"s until stupid Me connected the name . I am about my fathers business and all .

Calling in sick and lying about it is stealing . Calling in for a personal day with out going into explanation any further is not stealing . Companies that hold your feet to the fire and cause you to lie by there vigorous vigilantism is stealing from your emotional well being

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

A very interesting personal evaluation.

Catching a personal friend stealing would be a tough call........and would certainly give me cause to re-evaluate what I thought I knew about my friend....

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

If you are a part-time worker, you do not get paid sick days.

Those who work in jobs that do get paid sick days and use them to pad their weekends etc. place an unfair work load on others.

But what do they care.....

People only justify matters from their own perspective, IMO.

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I only call in sick if I really would have a tough time doing my job, or am contagious.

Most people seem to come into work when they SHOULDn't and get everyone else sick. These people I've noticed usually are workaholics, honestly cannot miss the day for a important reason or have kids they love to dump at daycare( whom are also sick).

It's just dishonorable.

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I agree that persons who are unwell should not be putting the health of others at risk. Likewise, one needs to look after their own health. These are the types of use for which sick days are intended to be used, based on my understanding of our collective agreement. (We are a union shop.)

Those workaholics sometimes are not working in the best interests of everyone, conceded.

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I did not mean to imply 3 day weekends . I meant if the parent needed to dedicate them selves to family issues of neglect . Somethings you can only do in the week days in America also. If you got to lie to meet the needs then something is wrong with the company . The happier the family life the happier the employee. The Happy employee is a more productive employee. Better well being . It promotes enthusiasm.

Anyway , Yeah I don't know what a sick day is . Owners of business don't get sick . No time to get sick . Except I did get strip throat one time . Never had it before . I thought I was going to die . Hit hard ! 103 temp and delirious for several days . That was many years back . I came home and said to my wife as the rest of the family was getting ready for a concert at the school that my daughter was playing clarinet in . I said let Me just lay down for few minutes , I am not feeling to good . I never got up until I went to Now Care first thing in the morning and wife had to drive . Violation of my don't go to doctors principle . They gave Me a shot of penicillin and something else and the fever broke and all was good . It was the first sick days I had in a very long time .

23. kira Valued Senior Member

I never witnessed any coworkers stealing something, I am glad I was never been in that situation. If it happens though, I will not report it unless I know how to prove it.

However, I witness from time to time coworkers (or even my boss) stealing ideas (sometimes mine!). I hate it, but I have myself to blame.