Canuachi skulls in peru

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by NenarTronian, Sep 11, 2002.

1. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I caught some of a special about all these weird looking skulls from a few thousand years ago belonging to the Canuachi tribe in Peru. The same tribe that has all the odd lines and symbols in the desserts. The skulls were very odd looking, very elongated.

Also on the special were other off skull types, involving real-life "cone-head" skulls, a skull that looked like two hills with a valley in between (sorry, cant explain it very well), squat looking skulls.. etc.

Weird huh? Any thoughts, ideas?

Maybe the Canuachi were related to the ancient peoples (aliens?) of Lemuria and Atlantis? Possible

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually I watched a special on it that said something along the lines that it was a growth deformity that might have been purposely caused.

People were considering the similarities between the way certain cultures bound the feet of their young or other cultures pierced themselves.

The question should be what would be the purpose to deform someones head in this way? Perhaps they were choosen to be priests or something.

There was also some information about some of the skulls having holes in them from surgery, this went along the lines that their is a disorder that causes the brain to become pressurised within the skull, and that such surgery would relieve the pressure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

So the tribal medicine man or elder or someone would squeeze the child's head to mold it to the desired shape? Sort of like wearing those neck bracelet things in Africa, in order to make the neck longer. I can't see molding a child's head without causing some sort of brain deformity, mental retardation, etc. Maybe they were just experimenting.

PS. In another way to explain the odd skulls, maybe the WOMEN in the tribe had the deformity, within the uterus or something, that squeezed the heads so?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Babies heads do not become completely firm until after they are born. I remember something to the effect of certain American Indians using two boards tied together at one end to deform the head into a type of peak before the skull bones had completely hardened.

8. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I wonder what would lead them to deliberately deform children's skulls..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I do not remember exactly what reason was given if there was a reason. It was some years ago that I saw that.

Sometimes, cultures vary in what they determine is beauty. Some have ideas of how a fierce warrior should look. Yet others think that religion should have some special significance in the appearance of the individual. Take your pick...

10. moving Registered Senior Member

11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

The mayan indians in Central and South America used this method to elongate the skulls of their children for thousands of years. I could see that they may have started to get more sofisticated, and started trying other shapes. Can't say it's good for the brain, though :m: :m:

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

NenerTronian:
    My old ob-gyn text has some rather gruesome pictures of children whose heads were accidentally squeezed into that shape by doctors who didn't use their forceps right (eeeek! another reason not to have children).

I can't imagine that'd have a good effect on the developing brain.

People are so fucked up.

13. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

@ Stryderunknown
    maybe you have seen that here?
    (for lazy people, go to the “find” function of your browser and let it find “trophy heads”)