Weaponitis

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ULTRA, May 28, 2011.

1. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

I have been wondering if addiction to weaponry is a bona fida addiction with a strong psycological root.
    Like many other addictions it also involves risk, empowerment, adrenaline and even averice. Many "addicts" have extensive collections and will go to extrordinary lengths and pay dearly for prized items.
    Some weapons will be pre-ordered in anticipation of their production, and customisation can involve etching, plating, even jewelling bordering on high art.
    I also think true addicts will exhibit loss resulting in grief if dispossesed, and feel uncomfortable without them.
    Weapons technology is a leading economic revenue generator, and R&D continues apace. But still, a lot of variants on any particular model are common. I think there are 20 or more versions of the AK 47 for example.
    I really think this goes deeper than simple empowerment and in some people is a de facto addiction often with an encyclopedic knowledge of ballistics and ordnance.
    It could be said that it's just a fascination, but I think there's more to it than that. Thoughts anyone?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I tend to disagree with your conclusions. People buy weaponry because it's useful, cool, powerful and collectible in that order. Only thing better than an ounce of gold is a good handgun with ammo.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yup

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As with any hobby it can lead to an addiction by those not in control of their emotions. I've seen people get carried away with buying all sorts of stuff during their lifetimes only for those items to be sold by their relatives when they die. Their are those who buy for the enjoyment of owning something special then there are those who are only trying to be wanting to show off what they can buy. Many know the cost of everything but few know the real values. I enjoy buying die cast cars as a hobby but I only have a dozen or so and have not bought any for over 5 years now. I bought because I use to watch the cars I bought actually race when I was young and thought having a piece of the past to view from time to time would be nice and to recollect those days of yesteryear. Why people buy things is up to them but I don't understand the need for thousands of dollars being invested in weapons myself but to each their own.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

A good response, IMO. The gun collectors that I know up here in the north, are all involved in the instruction of the safe and proper handling, storage and use of firearms. One is a gunsmith, who operates a shop that cares for and services the weaponry. There is a gun club that hosts various public events, one being a turkey shout, where targets and silhouettes at various distances determine the final outcome. (Some years back, I had the best group of the day at 100 yds. using a Ruger .270, with a 4-power Leopold, using Federal Premium 130 GR. Boat-Tail Soft Point cartridges.) Yes. I know I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm sure much of it was luck because after the sighting in prior to the event, I realized my scope was a bit out of line. One of the rangers adjusted it for me, and as our group did the second sight-in, I only dry-fired my rifle (allowed) and so did not walk with the others the distance to the target and back.

When, minutes later, we held the scoring round, my heart rate had not been affected by the 200 yards of walking, nor anxiety over the grouping. The gentleman who had adjusted my scope had years of experience, though he was flabbergasted that I was taking such an approach. At the final outcome, he just smiled and shook his head.

Yes. I had a steady hand that day, but the credit goes to the master firearms instructor who tweaked my scope.

My own purpose for owning firearms is in defense of my livestock against wildlife and to be able to put down a horse if it broke a leg or suffered an injury beyond recall. Many of my friends hunt and own a range of weaponry depending on the size of animals they hunt. Some are also avid bow hunters.

Most end up with a collection of weapons for the same reason that people collect anything.....they like to compare the old to the new, and many pieces have been inherited from a by-gone era.

There are, however, a number of guns that were designed specifically with the killing/injuring of humans in mind. Persons who collect those as an interest would have to supply their own justification, because in Canada there are a considerable number of weapons that it is NOT legal to own.

I'm not sure why people are so intrigued to own assault rifles, so in that regard I can understand the question posed by ULTRA.

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

People scare me.
    I just want to return the favor, I guess. Not sure if I actually want to hurt people.

Although I would to prevent someone innocent from getting hurt...and then likely feel like crap about it.
    For the rest of my life, I imagine I'd get to close my eyes and see someone losing parts in slow motion-my brain does that overclocking thing, so I would see it in slow motion.

But I only want a certain selection of guns, then I'll be happy and feel like I'm adequately prepared for eventualities. I shoot better with a .9 handgun, so one of those. A shotgun, because my hands get the shakes these days-very annoying.

And finally, one of these when I can afford to:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct868.aspx

Maybe I have weaponitis?:shrug: I just saw it and thought: :xctd:

Yeah, people really scare me that much.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I own and am licensed to concealed carry pistols. I inherited the .25 cal Beretta semi automatic from my former military officer father, now deceased. It is a very small pistol, easy to conceal, but ineffective at any more than maybe 30 feet. The other pistol I own is a S & W stainless steel J - frame .357 magnum 5 shot revolver.

Sometimes I go into the big city, and pretty much everyone there is armed and dangerous. The .25 is a decent dissuader up close. Sometimes I transport very expensive items that do not belong to me and are uninsured. I dress down, look inconspicuous and carry the .357.

I qualify with both, am former NRA (pro marksman with a rifle), grew up in the US military, advanced Taekwon Do black belt and am extremely athletic. If trouble is close, I am very fast and hit very hard. If it is further away, I can run as fast as 12 miles per hour and as far as necessary to get away from a bad situation. The carry piece is for that in - between gray area, and that does not come along often.

I do have the basic set of martial arts weapons, but consider those as exercise equipment for my personal training rather than actual weapons, though they do qualify as such.

I don't want to scare people, would rather get along with them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NPR ran a story last weekend on returning vets and their need to always be armed....