Fidgeting

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Nova1021, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

Yeah, so i'm a little bored and i was sitting here on my computer and i noticed that i was unconciously fidgeting. I was bouncing my leg up and down with my foot. I looked over and lo and behold so was my roommate! I've noticed this in class and other places as well. Any thoughs as to the reason behind people's fidgeting?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I think you mean the tremor in the leg when sitting on a chair? (me Dutch me no speak english, not know word "fidgeting")

The reason is quite simple: when one is tense (especially then, though not necessarily) the muscle tonus can get in a region at wich a reflex-loop can get eeeh.. forgot the right word.... it's something like auto-inference.

for those who know system dynamics:
    I suspect that the phenomenon can be described as a second order system (of differential equations) with 0 < Beta <= 1.

I must get some coffee - or some sleep.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Ah, the unconscious leg-jiggling!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe it's from sugar-overload, or because your mind is bored, but your body needs to be active. *shrug*

I usually don't bounce my leg, I sink into a glazed stupor and draw things in my agenda and the margins of my page. In fact, I've never been bored, just content with the situation. I find that pen twirling, drawing on my skin, and stabbing in between the spaces between my fingers without accidentally hurting myself helps keep me awake. I'm getting good at that last one too; I've only stabbed myself 3 times with my Exact-o knife this week.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

My perpetual nervous tic prevents me from fidgeting.

8. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

aPPARENTLY IF ONE PERSON DOES ONE THING THEN THE PEOPLE AROUND THEM START DOING IT TOO. IE TAPPING YOUR FINGERS ON THE DESK OR SWAYING ETC

that shouldn't be in catipols but i knocked the button and can't be arsed to change it

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Something like the psychology of the yawn?

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The calories you burn off by just bouncing your leg up over time add up, as part of a regimen of excersize I guess. There's nothing bad about fidgeting, since, for the most part, everyone does it one way or another.

When I was a little younger we went down to massachuessetts and to this armor museum and we got this little bit of chainmail and designated it my 'fidget.' I would toss that thing around like there was no tomorrow and merely feel content. Alas, now no fidget eth required.

11. aciescomplio Registered Senior Member

Fidgeting might be a state of boredom for the neurons in your body.
    You move because you say to your brain or spine, 'I wanna move that leg' and it sends the message along nerves and neurons that pass on the message to the area of stimulation, to move your leg.

And the fact we do fidget unconciously says that our brain wants to do something, behind our back.

Thats my theory aniwayz

12. Atilla Registered Member

Fidget...

On the subjrct of your fidgeting, I can only say....Listen to the what your instincts tell you, is there something else that needs your attention. Go back and review what you were working on, maybe there is something left unsaid...

As to you roomates fidgeting, could it be the last remnant of human vestigal herd behavior?

13. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

A body language text book once described rythmic foot movement as wanting to be out of the situation your in,. (Like meeting your partners parents for the 1st time) But I don't think that's the same thing as the nervous twitch type of thing.

14. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I fidget alot. I think I do it cuz I dont want to just sit there looking stupid

So I move... which probably makes me look like a tweek

15. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Not sure what a tweek is but on you it sounds most charming

16. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

A tweek is short for a tweaker. Someone who does lots of drugs and never stops moving or talking

Tweakin'!

17. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member