projection

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by chimpkin, Apr 17, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I was thinking about how I and other people tend to attribute their own motives to others...and then we all get surprised to find that, no, other people don't think like we do, not at all.

From the wikipedia page, a good-enough definition:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
    Although I certainly don't stop at my unconscious repressed motives...I tend to project my entire psychic motivational set outward with very confusing results for all...

I don't think the source below is an unbiased source...
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
    But I thought it interesting that they cite religious people calling belief in evolution a religion...and they still believe that, even when you say "I believe evolution to be the case because of these facts."

Projection?Is that what it is?

Something that I remember being mentioned as projection is demonization of other sides of the political spectrum. We see people who believe in things and do things we find unpleasant, unwise, or unkind, and rather than say "They are operating from a different worldview," both sides have a tendency to say "What a bunch of idiots!"

And we all may look like a boatload of fools from outside that narrow spectrum we're squabbling over...

I was just contemplating how I expect honesty from others and get so surprised that...well, it's almost like my brain short-circuits.
    My wife decided to tell me a pull my leg sort of story once...and then wondered why I blew up.
    I don't do well with that sort of joking, I'm afraid.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So...projection: do you do it? do you catch yourself doing it? do you see how it bites you in the butt?
    Or am I just thinking (again) that other people think like I do?

One more thing...since I seem to be more motivated to do a decent job for my employer...I keep thinking I ought to be a supervisor.
    I seem to have a fairly high work ethic...there are others who deserve to have that inflicted on them.
    Don't think I'd be a total jackbooted thug of a boss...but if I have to be awake all night to get paid, then so does everybody else.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I think there are lots of people that think like you . In fact I think I think a lot like you ( human brains tend to think in similar manners ) I also think we project our selves just like you said . Example is my old standard by Al Capone thinking him self a saint in his community . We justify our own actions . So lets consider how you might react by the statement " I don't know the answer any better than you do " Would you take that as a slam against you or would you think of that as a compliment towards you ?
    At first you might think " I know better than you what are you talking about
    then you might rethink " The person is putting Me at there level and it was like saying you are equal to Me .
    So was the person projecting them selves on you ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

O.K. You want to supervise . My little tool . Don't laugh and think it a joke for it works . When you look at your superiors and other employees say to your self " I love you . I know it sounds stupid . What it does is it takes the stress from your face and builds confidence in the other person for you. They will feel you love them and care about them . They will fight for your success because of it . Try it before you dismiss the tool

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I see a problem I try to come up with solutions but many others only complain.

When I need to have a tool that isn't made, I make it myself , others just give up what they are trying to do and look for another tool that would make do.

I fail allot but I see those failures as only ways that don't work not actual failures while others do actually think they failed.

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

These all sound like Aspergers Syndrome traits. Are you an Aspie?

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Jung talks extensively about projection. He claims that we all have a "shadow". which is a psychological embodiment of all of our shortcomings, fears, unfulfilled desires etc. He says that the more we repress our "darker" thoughts and feelings, the more powerful our shadow becomes, and the more we will project these traits onto other people.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I don't think so?
    And I had a full workup as a teen...it wasn't mentioned...
    OTOH that was pre-therapy.

I've had derealization and dissociative symptoms in the past, that's what I attribute it to-my sense of what reality is can be easily tipped over.

Coming up with solutions is fun.
    But what one finds in an organization is that nobody wants a solution to be come up with, they just want to be as lazy as they possibly can...

Or maybe I just work with a bunch of turkeys?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I mean, I know I do...it's just that I figure I'll go somewhere else, and I may get different turkeys,but still have the same turkey feces.

(I doubt I have the physical wherewithal to start my own security business until I get the sinus fatigue under better control...but I'm getting more tempted...In fact, should I be so lucky as to get myself cured? I shall do that.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011