what is the thought b4 emotion!?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Agent@5, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

A Psych. student and I were talking about the thought process, and she was saying how a thought goes through a section of the brain that is your emotions.... THus there is no such thing as a rational thought.... but we were thinking of what is that thought is b4 emotions... is that absolute 'truth'? absolute rationale? would it be somehting we could comprehend knowing taht that idea too would be passed through emotion?.......

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

impulses?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Frieda Registered Senior Member

so you're saying that the truth is anything you didn't think about as thought interacts with emotion, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

no, i'm kidding. i know what you mean.

maybe you should've posted in the Technology - Intelligence & Machines section.. AI is all about thought without emotion!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

In rehab, a lot of work (on the mental health side) is focused on the existence (it is felt) of a thought-to-feeling-to-action chain. That is, on the idea that we have a thought, which gives rise to an emotion which prompts a particular action; thus, that thoughts and emotions are not initially entangled but rather lead one to the other.

The idea is that with addiction the chain becomes fixed and constantly ends with the same action. Therefore, there's a need to break the link between particular thoughts and particular emotions. The most effective way to achieve this is by learning to think differently. This means the emotions felt are different from the old pattern and, hopefully, the action too.

I am not sure what the psychological theory (if any) lies behind this. But it works and I imagine that makes it somehow true, and enough in itelf.

Therefore, the thought before emotion is simply a thought...?

8. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

is this fact though?? i tend to think that there is actually an emotional part of ur brain i.e. a thought doesnt go to an emotional centre but rather u do have actual feelings. do u catch my meaning?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i hope so. I was just curious as to whether the above quote was fact or specualtion. thank you.
    i tend to think more along these lines but i may be wrong.