Technology- Friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Popcorn8636, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Imagine what the future will be like, with nanotechnology able to create devestating war machines that can take out an entire group of soldiers in a matter of moments, and wars being ended instantly by a-boming many large cities all at once. If we don't find ways to resolve conflict- one of humankind's greatest challenges, we could end up driving ourselves to extinction!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

The same probably was said about the rock and the wooden club.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but a person with a single rock or wooden club can wipe out millions of people in one try.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I'm sure whoever first harnessed fire (or someone associated with them) used it to wipe out rival settlements. Basically, and advancement that we make can be used for good or evil, and I think it's usually equal parts of both.

They could if they had a big enough club.

8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Of the two, technology and psychology, only technology is naturally benign.

It is applied technology that can be dangerous.

9. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Yes, but a fire dosen't necessarily kill people, chances are, if someone were to drop an a-bomb on a major city, unless it was allready evacuated, you would kill a couple million people.

How would you carry the big enough club? I guess this is why the rock was invented.

10. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

Read 1984. All I can say. Technology is foe. We'd all be happier with nothing.

11. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

!

Actually, IMO, countries would have such great weaponry that none of them would dare use it, for fear of widespread disaster that will affect them as well. Or, no one would use their weapons, because they'd be so paranoid that the other country would have something even bigger and badder.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

TECHNOLOGY IS MY FRIEND

Its just that it gets into the wrong hands sometimes, ie Governments.

I love the way our future is shaping out, I just hope the story of Neocron doesn't come true

Billions wiped out in a few minutes, make you think.

I think we need more SALT talks that actually work for once

13. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Finally someone believes me! But I'm not entireley looking on the military side of things, but technology changes the way we think, it's addictive. We think that all of these neat little gadges we have will always be there, we can't live without them! For any of you who have tried to keep themselves amused in a power-out, you may know what I mean.

14. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Ah, but there would be no power-outage if there hadn't been any power to be out-ed in the first place, would there? Nor the need to amuse yourself in the dark*.

*Not meant in any gross way, lol

15. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Exactly! We rely on technology. If there wasn't any power to be out-ed, we wouldn't have the technology we have today! We would have something to do all the time without electricity, and people will live their lives to the fullest.

16. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

But in a way, technology has driven us to strive for things that would have astounded the early man. Arms races have pushed us to boundaries unlimited in creating devastating war machines, but has encouraged higher pursuits in other things.

I don't know, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. It depends on my mood whether I consider technology beneficial or dangerous. Today, it will be dangerous. Tomorrow... Who knows?

17. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Posted by %BlueSoulRobot%

Why do we bother to create such war machines then?

It's pointless. Maybe everyone's waiting for somone to misplace their AA guns so they can carpet bomb 'em before they do something to someone else.

Technology is a scary thing!

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Because we're paranoid.

Insecurity is very common in mankind, especially compounded with fear it leads to paranoia.

19. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

20. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Without technology we will go extinct within the next few million years. A meteor flattens us, a plague kills us, etc....

With technology we can survive for untold billions of years...

Friend, definatly friend....

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Tell that to the guy who has a bullet between his eyes

We need technology. Anyone who says differently is a fool. Whether it benefits us in the long run is a different story altogether.

I'm gonna play WipEout 3, just because that the future I want us to follow *looks to the stars*

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Those who are taking the bullet between the eyes, should it be for the certifyable good of mankind, should be willing to make the sacrefice. If they are not it is probably better for mankind that they be dead anyway, as they are selfish bastards.

23. Frencheneesz Amazing Member Registered Senior Member

" and wars being ended instantly by a-boming many large cities all at once."

I guarrantee that if we wanted to do that, we could RIGHT NOW, without nano anything (fission bombs are too big to make the use of nanobots useful, and fusion bombs are likely to be big as well, there is a limit on the size of an atom bomb). We could smuggle in bombs all over the world with special operatives, then get them out of there, then send a high power radio transmittion to the bomb to make them blow.

But yet we don't, why not? It is not ONLY because we have compassion for other countries (as minimally as it may be) but we don't want all that harmful radiation coming over and mutating our asses.

Why didn't we nuke the whole world when we were the only ones with the nukes?...

"Ah, but there would be no power-outage if there hadn't been any power to be out-ed "in the first place, would there?"

Actually, there would be widespread and homogenious power outage, given that noone would have power......

"We would have something to do all the time without electricity, and people will live their lives to the fullest."

That is such crap, we can do more with technology, not less. I think power outages are fun, personally. What would be "living life to the fullest"?

I think we can agree that technology helps people live longer and healthier. If we are all dieing of maleria and malnutrition in Africa, how can we live life to the fullest?

"I don't know, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. "

Without technology, that fence would never exist

Technology was made because it made things easier (therefore more efficient in some way or another), not because we thought "hey we want to jack up society, right?"