College Hookup Mentality

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by SilentLi89, Mar 30, 2011.

1. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I read an article written about .eduHookups, which is a website where college students can find others in their area interested in casual sex. As far as I can tell it's no different than going to a bar on a Saturday night... But apparently there is quite a bit of moral outrage about the website. However what I found most interesting was a quote by psychologist, Jeff Gardere. He said:
    http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/03/30/6374134-new-site-helps-students-arrange-casual-sex-hookups?gt1=43001

That may be true in many cases, but is it really all bad? Isn't making choices, good or bad for you, just a part of growing up and helping to form your identity? Casual sex can lead to STDs and unwanted pregnancy, but from an emotional standpoint it can also lead to many different avenues. However I think these emotional experiences are crucial in the development of young adults. But I'm still a college student (for one more month) so I might be biased. What do you think? Should hookups/casual sex be avoided in college? Why or why not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I see nothing bad about it so long as you take precautions to guard your physical safety.

I mean, if you make sure the other person has no STDs and use contraception, what's the worst LIKELY hazard? You'll think 'ugh, that was shallow' and look for a solid relationship as well as a warm body to fuck? How is that bad?

People need to get over this stupid 'OMG SEX' mentality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

'OMG SEX' mentality? I see what you mean, but I gotta say, even here at a private Catholic university, students talk about sex the same way they talk about what they had for dinner last night.

as for me, someone who finds sex both incredibly desirable yet incredibly intimidating, I'd be lying if I said this hookup website doesn't hold some appeal...

I wouldn't use it though- to act and to think are two very different things!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Hmm...my finding upon first having it..well, voluntarily... is that it wasn't that big of a deal.:shrug:

It's much better with somebody you actually give a crap about.

8. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

my initial reaction was quite the opposite. I remember thinking,
    "wow, this is the best feeling ever, this feels so good in fact that I am going to lower my standards and pursue intercourse with fat/ugly girls."

that was 6 years ago (I am 21 and have not had sex since)
    and although I consider myself charming in the Clooney/Simon Baker mold,
    my heart is reserved for one girl, and one girl only: Caroline.

as for casual sex, I have all kinds of excuses but quite frankly it comes down to a lack of effort and a lack of balls (figuratively, of course- in reality they are quite lovely and prominent)

anyway, I know my time will come, and it will be glorious.

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Hmm...not as driven about it as I was then. :shrug:

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Whoever wrote this must be too young to remember the 1960s and 70s.

11. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

But thanks to websites like eduHookup, very little effort is required, (not that it requires much if you're really desperate), as long as you aren't really ugly and/or prudish that is.