desert survival question

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Movies (and novels) show people traveling across the desert during the day. This might be okay for a caravan with lots of water.

For 1 person or a small group with limited supplies, would it be more sensible to travel at night & sleep during the day?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

IMO, it seems best to travel before/after sunrise and sunset because the middle of the day is hot, and the middle of the night is cold.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Depends on how far you are going, what you are carrying and what the terrain is like.

If you are dressed right, the desert during the day is OK. Been there, done that (Sahara, Mojave). You can see where you are going and the really nasty critters are sawing logs. I know that the movies always show the heroes marching in the night, but I would rather be hot and moving in the day than cool and comfortable while nursing the busted leg I got while trying to hike the high desert at night.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Depends in part upon the desert also.

Take the Kalahari for example. The night belongs to lions, hyenas and perhaps even leopards. The day belongs to the San Bushmen. Even they avoid traveling at night.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Having spent most of my life in Arizona and southern California, I can say from considerable experience that the best way to deal with the desert is to stay out of it, unless you happen to be racing a motorcycle.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that in this situation they would have brought more supplies than you suggest they have. I'd think they would know better to travel without adequate provisions or proper guides.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

From Survivorman, you do light work during the day and don't overheat yourself and you find a cave and make a fire for night.